Is my chicken broody?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Rachael, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help. One of my hens has spent the whole day sat inthe nesting box of the coop. She is usually the first one out when I feed thechickens and the last one to go to bed at night. Also she’s not really a fan onbeing stroked but this afternoon put up with me trying to see if she was ok.When I moved her from the nesting box I discovered she had been sat on two eggsall day (one her own and one from another hen). I took the eggs away once Ifound them.

Could this be broody behaviour? Would this change happen overnight? If Ikeep taking the eggs away will any broody behaviour stop?

Also could "broody behaviour" affect my other hens? They seemed topeck her a bit more than usual when I moved her (I think she is lowest in theirpecking order)

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Soundy broody to me. Sorry dont know the answers to your other questions. I would just keep taking the eggs if you dont want her sitting on them. I think its just a natural thing for some hens to want to set.

3. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Thanks Apyl - its the first time I've come across a broody chicken... I guess its all part of the learning curve :)

4. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Rachael, I'm just curious....what breed is she? Just taking the eggs away may not break her broodiness. Friends of mine have silkies and they swear silkies will brood wood chips. My cochins will brood nothing! If it continues you may need to "convince" her that being broody is not a good idea. I have to remove my girls from the nest box time after time after time all weekend. If that doesn't do it, I give them a cool bath. The idea is to cool them down. Some people place a broody in a wire bottom cage with no bedding to cool the underside and break the broody trance. Of course if you have fertile eggs and want chicks you could just let her hatch a few!! Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    ~Kimberly

5. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

A full blown broody hen will also feel hot, like a baby with a fever. And when you pick her up and set her down again, she doesn't really put her legs under her, but keeps on setting. She also may fluff her feathers and growl at you or even peck at you.

Also, when they are setting they get this glossy "stoned" look in their eyes and they talk to the eggs!!

If she was just sitting on the eggs instead of roaming around, but she goes back to life when you move her she may have been just hanging out or "trying it on".

6. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Good morning Kimberly and Roslyn

She is a Salmon Flavorelle. I had to move her out of the nesting box again thismorning to encourage her to eat and she was even off her mealworms. I think Iwill try and give her a bath or take the bedding away to cool her down thisevening.

Out of curiosity would she continue to sit if I just gave her one egg to hatch out?

7. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Also she is 4 years old but is still laying... not sure if that makes a difference

8. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Good Morning Rachael,

A true broody hen doesn't usually continue to lay eggs. Can you identify her eggs? My other hens will lay their eggs right on top of my broody! I would never give a broody just one egg. If she is successful, then you have one lonely chick. And she sat there for 21 days for just one baby...... I usually give six and mark them with a pencil, then I count them every evening and remove the new ones. (I also keep an incubator handy in case my broody gives up on like day 12....it breaks my heart to loose developing eggs)

~Kimberly

9. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Hi Kimberly

Thank you so much for the information that’s really helpful :) We havedecided not give her any fertilised eggs as I don't have a spare run I couldput her or any chicks in.... though it maybe something I do in the future. Shehasn't laid any more eggs since yesterday but stole an egg one of the othergirls laid and started sitting on that. I gave her a cold bath this evening andtaken the stolen egg away. I am hoping she snaps out of it soon.

Thank you :)