Intergration

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by englishchick, Aug 18, 2012.

1. englishchick

englishchick Junior Member

Hi All,

I have five ex bats who I have had for a year. I have just bought two pullet RIR which are eighteen weeks old.

I introduced the new birds to the coup at night well but during the day the ex bats chase the new girls all ove the place when they want too.

At night they do sleep all together without any problems. During the day the ex bats seem to want to tell the young ones who the bosses are!

There are two ringleaders who seem to be instigating the problems. I am considering getting the two bully's out of the run to see if the situation eases.

I am at abit of a loss as to what to do as I dont want to make things worse and would like everyobdy to get along.

Any advice appreciated.

Englishchick x :confused:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

It just takes time for them to adjust at their own rate. My australorp took months, I mean months, to integrate. My australorp/leghorn mix took about 1 1/2 months. The easter egger I brought home 3 weeks ago made her way in just 1 1/2 weeks. I kept my newbies in a separate area where they could still be well seen by the older girls. Let them in the coop to roam while the older ones were off roaming the yard. I also have them free range the yard while under supervision. A couple separate dishes for feed seems to help too.

I hope this helps you a bit. Good luck. :)