Incubator Disaster

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by CrazyBirdLady, Sep 29, 2012.

1. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Junior Member

Hello, my name is Kat and I'm brand new to this forum. I started raising chickens a year ago...starting with 17 Guinea Fowl to help with the crazy amount of ticks. We lost many to predators and were down to 5 when something got my 2 hens sitting on 22 eggs. I bought an incubator and 12 hatched. So cool! Now im hooked! I heard that Bantams were very broody so I got 5 eggs, 2 hatched - Millie and Willie. I enjoyed the hatching experience so much, I got 9 Silkie eggs that were due to hatch tomorrow (Sept 30) Thursday I took them out of the turner and added some hot water for humidity. I candled them and 5 of the 9 were active. Last nite one started pipping! So exciting....I got up every couple of hours and there was no activity... No change, today nothing....what happened? I'm sure the one that had broken thru the shell is gone and I don't know why. I'm really bumming....anyone know what happened?

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Hi Kat, and welcome! I have never used an incubator, so I'm not the one to try to answer your question. I just wanted to welcome you! Someone should be along soon to help you! I wouldn't give up on them yet, though.

3. CrazyBirdLady

Thank you for the welcome, i appreciate it. I still have them in the incubator, haven't opened it....don't understand why one started pipping and stopped :( I've had 2 other successful hatches. I'm so sad.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm sorry you're so sad. Welcome to the Forum. Some times the chicks just get trapped and they die. You could open the egg up and look. When you learn, the next hatch goes better.

5. CrazyBirdLady

I don't want to see them dead :( I ordered more eggs, I'll try again. Going to candle them tomorrow nite, their hatch date...but I'm sure they're gone. They were doing so well...I candled them Thursday nite and they were alive and moving...last nite one was pipping....I don't understand what happened...

6. CrazyBirdLady

Oh, and thank you for the welcome :)

7. CrazyBirdLady

Do you recommend the last 3 days on the screen or in an egg carton? I realized when my 12 Guineas hatched 9 days ago that they were bumping into and rolling the other eggs all around. 4 didn't hatch and I think that's why....?

8. twentynine

twentynine New Member

At day 18 put them on the screen. The bumping and rolling around by the already hatched chicks doesn't hurt, as long as you have room in the incubator.

9. adorson

adorson New Member

How were your temps and humidity levels?

10. CrazyBirdLady

The temp was 100 and humidity was between 61 and 65%

11. CrazyBirdLady

I pulled one of the 2 red plugs and the humidity dropped dramatically (in the beginning, not the last 3 days) so could it have been not enough airflow? I was sure not to block any of the air holes. I had the reservoirs filled, I had 4 plastic cup bottoms with water and cut a sponge in half...too much water? It's what I did with my other 2 hatches.....they hatched. I just candled them and they're dead. I'm sad:( I did order more eggs so I'm not giving up, I just want to get it right this time.

12. muranofarms

muranofarms New Member

What was your humidity during the first 19 days?

13. ftwchopper

ftwchopper Junior Member

Humidity for the first 19 days should be around 45 to 50%. The last three days you can increase it to 65%.Too much humidity when turning and the chicks drown in the shell when they pip the air sac.

14. CrazyBirdLady

The first 19 days the humidity went from 17% to 21%....today I took them out of the turner and added water and it's up to 51%. Can't get it any higher.

15. CrazyBirdLady

the humidity was only 41% this morning.....

16. ftwchopper

ftwchopper Junior Member

Try adding a clean wet sponge in with the eggs...

17. CrazyBirdLady

I have one in there, I also cut 2 plastic cups down to about an inch and have warm water in those....I'm afraid they're going to shrink wrap :(

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Move them to the bathroom and turn on the shower?

19. CrazyBirdLady

For how long?

20. CrazyBirdLady

That's a good idea, I shower in the morning, hubby after work in the evening and I could run the hot shower, except I work 8 - 4