I found where my hen was laying!

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by Snyburg, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Snyburg

Snyburg New Member

When walking through the yard I found where my one little escape artist of a hen has been laying her eggs! I knew she was laying somewhere but just hadn't found where until today. Some of the eggs have dirty shells and the earliest one(s) are maybe a week old (I figure that from when she laid her first egg in the nest box). My question is, are the dirty shelled eggs ones that will still be good to eat or should I just count them as a loss? I have attached a picture but not sure how well the dirty shells show up in it. :) It doesn't show up well in the picture but the eggs are a green color.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Attached Files:

2. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

I would throw them away, but a friend of mine told me if you put them in a bowl of water and if they float then they are bad, but if they sink then they are still good, I have never did it, but she claims it works, I always go by if they are iffy then they go in the garbage,

3. piglett

piglett Senior Member

it will sounds strange but.....crack em all open, fry them all up shells & all
    your hens will go nuts

4. kimberley

kimberley New Member

yes they will love them cooked or raw. if its rained that will make them dirty. I heard that they will be ok for ten days but if its real hot i would feed them back to chickens.

5. kimberley

kimberley New Member

pretty eggs though.

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

It does work. ;)

Use a deep bowl, add warm water and place the eggs in question into the water. An old egg (stale) will come to the top and the fresh ones will stay on the bottom.

7. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

What breed of hen do you have?

8. dobro_harp

dobro_harp Junior Member

OH don't feed them raw eggs.... cooked only and the shells need to be ground or they may started laying and turning around to eat their own and eveybody elses eggs

9. Snyburg

Snyburg New Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I put the eggs in a separate container, until I could check back and see what you all said, in the fridge. Well wouldn't you know it, I knocked the container out of the fridge and the eggs ended up cracked all over the floor. :p None of them were rotten, thank goodness!! I didn't think about cooking them and feeding them to the chickens but my dog sure loved them in her food! :)
    Thank you again for your replies.

10. Snyburg

Snyburg New Member

I think it's a mix, I will try to post a picture on here later and see if anyone knows what breed it is. I bought 4 chicks at the feed store this last spring and the lady that helped me wasn't the one that knew chicken breeds. lol She said she thought this one might be an easter egger.