How to stop roosting in nest boxes

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Keith, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Lately the entire flock has taken to sleep in the nest boxes at night and thus soiling them thoroughly.

Any tips on how to prevent this. They have lots of other roosting areas.

2. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

Mine have had 3 straight nights of roosting on their roost bar but when I of home this evening both of them were in the nest boxes. They were pissed that I moved them and blocked their nest but oh well. They're not laying right now but I still don't want them soiling the boxes every night.

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

My nest box has a bar that I pull up at night and blocks the nest, then come morning I put it down again to open.

Blocking the box is the only answer I know that has worked.

4. Keith

Keith New Member

Does anyone else have this issue? I built the bar today to go across now they are laying. Curious if everyone is having to do this or there are tricks to stop other then blocking.

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Until they get in the habit of laying in the nest boxes, and sleeping on the roosts, blocking the boxes is all you can do to keep them clean. You just can't really spank a chicken.

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Over the year I have tried this that and the other but the bar was the only thing that did work ... I had to put a note on the door till I got used to going to hen house each morning to put the bar down and up at night. :eek: lol

fuzziebutt ~ Thanks for the smile. :D

7. bellerophon09

bellerophon09 New Member

Do you have the roosts higher than the nest boxes? That usually helps.

8. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

Confused

My chickens all sleep in the nest boxes at night. I didn't know they were not supposed to do this. I assumed they are warmer that way. They roost plenty on all the things I have for them, but could this be why they aren't laying yet. They are about 26 weeks and I don't have any eggs.

9. chickadee86

chickadee86 Junior Member

What about my girls that are laying do I block theirs also its starting to get chilly here :)

10. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I only block the nest at night ... come morning I open them back up for the girls to lay their eggs. :)

11. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Sundancers,
    That's exactly what I do, Or you have the risk of respiratory disease, I feel it's very important to break them from sleeping in nests.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  12. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Just gathered eggs for the morning, this green egg is a double pointer, both ends are pointed. The other is a really sharp point, Look pretty funny, from my Araucana EEs.. Thought is share.

Attached Files:

13. dragon_lady

dragon_lady New Member

My 6 Girls are now 19 weeks, one of them started laying just before 18 weeks and another girl has started as well, they all still sleep in the nest boxes. Why is it that they don't lay where they sleep?