how much is enough feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by bountyhunter69, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bountyhunter69

bountyhunter69 New Member

ive looked and couldnt find an answer..i have 5-6 month old pullets some just starting to lay..my question is how much feed should they be getting per day? they have a 500 sq ft lot they run in and get fed mixture of 16% laying mash and scratch feed,i want them fed enough but not fed too much tks all,great forum

2. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Member

On Tuesdays evening I load the feeder (and waterer) up to last till Saturday.

Saturday I load the feeder (and waterer) up to last till Tuesday evening.

Feeder is a hanging type.

3. CharlieEcho

CharlieEcho Junior Member

My book;

Our birds are mostly pets, but we want their eggs too. Our chicken book dated from the early 1960's recomends 2/3 of a cup per bird per day. Over weight birds may not lay eggs as often as trimmer birds. Meat birds or birds being raised to eat take more feed.

We have feeders we leave open so the birds can feed as they wish. One is in the hen house and it contains a varied feed mix with recommended supplements. All pre-measured and mixed at a mill. In the barn is a feeder with scratch grains and oats. So our birds can eat whenever they enter one of the buildings.

Each morning I let the birds and ducks out of their pens, fill the water bowls and buckets. We also scatter what remains of the feed in the barn feeder out in the pasture and replace that feed. That's our scratch grains and oats. The feeder in the hen house is filled as needed with the supplemented feeds. Try to keep the feeders high enough to keep the birds from soiling their feed. Our book recomends back high on the birds for both waterers and feeders.

4. qcupoultry

qcupoultry New Member

I raise Marans and if I leave food out for them 24/7 they get too fat and lay less eggs. I give them a special high protein feed 2x a day in addition to sprouted greens/fodder. My other layers do fine with 16% layer pellets and black oil sunflower seeds. I can leave the pellets down for them all the time and they don't seem to be as greedy as the marans. I don't feed any of my birds standard scratch mixes.

5. wkboggs5

wkboggs5 New Member

What fault do you find with the standard scratch grains?
    I buy from local feed store or tractor supply.
    Thnx

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Scratch grains don't have enough protein and vitamin content that chickens need to be healthy. Its a fast burn food that is a great treat on cold days. Helps them keep themselves warmer. They need regular good layer feed to produce good eggs. I supplement mine with sunflower seed and other goodies. Maybe not every day but at least a few times a week.

7. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

How do you keep the sparrows and other wild birds from eating your hen feed? Our sparrows will demolish a feeder of feed in one day!

8. wkboggs5

wkboggs5 New Member

I don't have this issue as my feeder is inside the coop and the girls are free ranging thru the day, but I might suggest a 16 yr old boy with a pellet rifle. Lol
    He'll love it!!!!

9. CharlieEcho

CharlieEcho Junior Member

Sparrows and Starlings;

We too have the Sparrow ,and we have Starling, problems. The chickens group up in various places around the barn yard. I notice if I leave the feeder with scratch grains and corn near one of the grouping areas the "wild birds" don't bother it nearly as much. Winter and the cold makes scratching for thrown grain a problem for the chickens.

I have attempted to bird proof the barn somewhat, when it's closed up at night. I was in the barn two days ago at 4:30 am and found only one Sparrow. If that's the only one in the barn it sure is making a mess all by it'self. I think the cat in the barn is a deterent to some degree. I have one more sliding door on the barn to put a seal on and that will cut down the inside bird problem even more during the night. I may cover the barn/outside feeder at night.

I have grandsons with BB guns if I could get them to come out at night. When I was in highschool, and the FFA, there was a bounty on Sparrows, Starlings, Crows, Rats, and mice. I don't think they do that any more. I have a large plastic, decoy Owl I've thought about putting in the barn. That might also scare the Chickens though too. We have nesting boxes in the barn.

I've tried traps for the Sparrows with no luck. I'm open to more suggestions myself.

10. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I have my feeders inside and the yard is fenced in so they go in and out as they please, I mix one bag of layer and one bag of scratch and keep the feeders full at all times and still try to give them some greens as much as possible . They seem very happy and I get over 15 eggs every day from 20 chickens. No complaints here.

11. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I wouldn't use the owl if iI were you. Chickens seem to be afraid of strange things . I was carrying a scarecrow back from the garden this fall and when I went past the pen the chickens went wild.

12. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

I bought this chookateria - the idea is the hens stand on the step which opens the lid. Still training my girls to use it. If it works its perfect..

Attached Files:

13. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

........+1!!!:D

14. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I feed mine half and half scratch and crumbles , Two big scoops a day and all the water they want. I have twenty chickens and get over 15 eggs a day and the chickens are very happy. I must be doing something right.

15. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I also give them all the table scraps

16. piglett

piglett Senior Member

we fill our 12lb feeder, once it gets 1/2 way down we top it off
    they always have access to all of the feed & clean water they wish
    in good weather they would rather scratch around for worms & such in the leaves than eat pellets

hope this helps
    piglett