How many eggs do you get each day?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by doug, Jul 11, 2012.

1. doug

doug New Member

I have a dozen Australorp pullets so kind of looking to see how many eggs I should expect per day.

How many chickens do you have, what breed and how many eggs a day do you get?

2. cindy

cindy New Member

11 red sexlinks, I get 11 jumbo brown eggs everyday without fail even in the winter.
    the sex links are 1 1/2 years old.
    my other girls have not yet begun to lay.

The Australorp Breed was developed in Australia at the end of the nineteenth century with Black Orpington stock from England. The breed also has genes from Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Langshan and Minorca crosses. The purpose of the breed was as a “utility” chicken for both high egg production and meat. It was originally known as the Black Utility Orpingtons. The breed was standardized after World War One and admitted to the Standard of Perfection in 1929 in England under the fitting name Australorp. By the end of World War Two, Australian poultry breeders wrote up their own breed standards, which have been accepted worldwide. Historically, Australorps have been egg-laying champions: an Australorp hen once laid 364 eggs in 365 days.
    They are an exceptionally beautiful bird, quite big, with black glossy feathers that have a green sheen and huge black soulful eyes.
    I'd say you can look forward to lots of fresh eggs....

3. skrutz

skrutz New Member

We have 16 hens, a combination of Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Golden Wyandotte and Barred Rocks - 1.5 years old -- when they first started laying last fall we often got 13-16 eggs a day, now we average 10-11.

The Australorps are gorgeous birds and seem to be the "top hens" of our coop. Enjoy them!

4. Snyburg

Snyburg New Member

I have two australorpe hens and one gives me an egg almost every day, the other one averages every other day. They have been really good layers. I now have 4 younger birds, of different breeds, and will be interested in knowing how good of an egg layer they turn out to be.

5. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

I have 5 Lohmann Brown ex free range layers , they were due to be culled at 70 weeks. I got them , and they give me 4 eggs every day. One will come into moult, and stop laying then another one restarts again,. I reckon after the summer they will alll be in full lay.

6. Inglewoody

Inglewoody New Member

Our 11 various breed girls give us about 6-8 a day, and the 6 quail pump out 4-5 a day between them. We use them ourselves, give some to friends and neighbours and 'sell' them at work for half the price of free range shop-bought eggs... people queue up for them as they taste so much nicer!

7. NOBALLOON

NOBALLOON New Member

I have 1 rooster and 13 hens ( a variety) and i get 9-10 a day. If the coons don't sneak in and get em.

8. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

My first flock of 23 use to average about 18 a day. My new flock of 25 haven't started producing yet.

9. poneal

poneal New Member

I have 4 Rhode Island Reds. I average 4 eggs per day, we have actually had 5 twice. They are about 1 year old.

10. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

i have 7 leghorns, 6 rhodes and a bantam silkie mix... during the cooler winter/spring months.. i was getting a good dozen a day... now im down to 5-7... they obviously dont like the heat LOL

11. TXChickenHead

TXChickenHead New Member

We live in Hot ole' Texas, before summer our 3 hens were laying one a day, now 'maybe' we'll get one a week. They don't like the heat, bless their hearts. (neither do I)

12. thestringbean

thestringbean New Member

i only have 6 hens mixed breeds that are breeding and they have a boyfriend in with them. i was getting 6 eggs a day until we had all the bad weather in the nort east of england. they stopped laying for about a week 4 have just started laying again. my best layer has got to be kylie my white star. she has only missed about 10 days since she started to lay in february.

13. chickhenfarm

chickhenfarm New Member

Hollyosborn, I'd love to see pics of your Rhode/Silkie Mix.

14. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

i was told shes a bant/silkie mix.. not sure exactly.. could have been the other one that the skunk killed... but here is Nimrod with her babies... all but one lived.. dang skunk...

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Zyklonbetty

Zyklonbetty New Member

Even with the crazy summer St Louis (100-112 degree) temps the last few weeks my wyandottes and my ameraucana lay like clockwork...about 5-6 eggs a week. My Mille fleur de'uccle bantam is down to about 4 a week and my serama the same.
    We keep fans everywhere for them. They are 100% pasture babies and only sleep in their coop...which also has fans.
    The multiple options for shade in the yard, pools to lie in and I freeze jugs of water that they like to lie around seems to keep my ladies pretty happy.
    My ameraucana is not as hot hardy as the others, but she does okay.
    I'd say we still get about a dozen every other day.

16. wildbird

wildbird New Member

gOT MY FIRST EGG THIS MORNING, SO EXCITED,LOL..

17. henmom

henmom New Member

We have almost 200 birds at different ages & stages and get an average of 5 to 8 dozen eggs per day.

18. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I have 6 laying girls but free range. They started laying in the brush somewhere so I put them in a pen over the weekend. Now I'm back to 1 egg so far lol, I figure in a day or two more they will have gotten use to being penned and go back to laying.

19. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I got my first egg two days ago, and I got one yesterday. So I can say I am getting one egg a day. This is from 24 hens, can't wait for the others to start laying. They are all about 5 months old.

20. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

Not laying!!! :(

I have 3 Silver Sussex hens and we bought them as adults so I'm not sure of their age. It appears that only one hen is laying because we are only getting one egg per day and not everyday. On occasion we will get 2 eggs. What could be the problem?

We do have 2 roosters too. They are in a 10' x 10' pen at night and they are allowed to run in a fenced off area during the day.