How many chickens do you have?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Fowler, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Fowler

Fowler New Member

I am trying to decide how many chickens to get. I live on 50 acres

Want them for eggs for family and friends.

How many chickens do you have?

2. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

The first time I had chickens I had 25, two were roosters. At their peak production I got 18 eggs a day average. I had plenty of eggs to eat, give away and sell. This time I got 30 chicks. I ended up with 4 roosters. How big is your coop? I keep mine in 2 horse stalls. I could keep up to 100, but I am the only one really taking care of them too. I am only on 3 acres.

3. cichlid11

cichlid11 New Member

the only time i have had chickens is well now lol and i have 8 3 red sexlinks brown egg layers and golden comets also brown egg layers, and recently just got 2 more that are both white one is albino jersey giant and the other is a white banny hen about 6 weeks i would say for something like 50 acres if it was me i would have about 100 chickens reason being is they say for every chicken u are supposed to have 4 square feet for them to grow aslong as they have outside space aswell as inside space u will have healthy chickens :)

4. CasadePolloDesigns

CasadePolloDesigns New Member

I have 10 hens. 2 each of Buff Orpingtons, Australorps, Partridge Plymouth Rocks, SLW, and Partridge Cochins. I can have 25 hens, and 1 roo in my area, but for the area we planned the coop, we felt 10 was plenty, and we didn't want a roo. Also, at the time I had no clue so many people would want the extra eggs. I have more requests for eggs, than I have eggs to go around. Still, the 10 are plenty right now. I would want to make my inclosed run much bigger if I got more. The hen house is big enough for more though, but this gives them all room to move around.

5. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I currently have 19 Chickens and 9 ducks. We plan to butcher 3 more roosters then we are done until next year. So in the end we'll have 16 chickens. Come next spring we will let the broodies hatch as many babies as they want and either sell the babies, keep a few for more eggs, and some for meat. We have our chickens and ducks to provide eggs for us and neighbors, meat for us and eventually for neighbors, and to give us babies to keep the circle going.

6. vondonna

vondonna New Member

I have 65 hens and 3 roosters. I live in Indiana where it's been nearly 100ยบ with no rain for the last 6 weeks so my egg production is really low. Poor things are doing their best to stay cool. We're going through multiple bags of frozen veggies every day just to try to keep them cool.

7. sukisuz

sukisuz New Member

We love in Scottsdale, AZ and are backyard chicken owners. We have 12 hens and we LOVE them!

8. ct62

ct62 New Member

i have about 47 chicken 4 of which are Cornish cross was gonna eat them they are the remaining out of 25 of them but im thinking of incubating so i dont have to buy more and i can hatch as many or few as i like. my other girls are a mix of buffs. speckled Sussex,cinnamon queen, black australorps (sorry if miss spelled),white rocks,silver and golden laced wyndotts, red sex go links and my ducks of 4 muddy :) puddles :) Daisy :) Konnie :) and my girls are doin good even though its hot eggs are still going good we free range our girls here in missouri

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I have 20 hens :)o I had to count them to post) plus 2 free range roosters. (they stay near the hen house, so I don't have to worry about them in the garden.) and I keep them ... just "in case" ... LOL

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

I just recently split our 16 into 3 groups.

1 Roo and 5 hens are free range. One of the hens is now sitting on a huge pile of eggs under the shed.

Another Roo and 5 hens are in a coop and run. These are the egg providers to the tune of about 5 dozen a week.

Then there is a smaller coop where I have 4 Roos from last falls hatching. These are in case we lose the free range Roo or if I decide to fire up the pressure canner. ;)

11. Shalva

Shalva New Member

we have 11 buff orpington hens... our rooster went to his new home today....

12. rob

rob New Member

ive only got 3 12 week old pullets. hoping to get more though.

13. Okie

Okie New Member

I have a trio and one pullet of Icelandic fowl,three hens and a roo of White Crested Black Polish A turken bantam roo and a mixed bantam hen to go with him. And have about 25 young and baby chicks.

14. abluechipstock

abluechipstock New Member

i have about 10 adults but i live on a small property, if i had 50 acres i'd have a couple hundred easily :)

15. laxbro

laxbro Senior Member

I live on about 1 Acre and I have 4 hens but hoping to get more. But with 50 acres I would have about 150 or more

16. twentynine

twentynine New Member

7 Rhode Isand Red hens
    8 Barred Rock hens
    2 Rhode Island Red roosters
    1 Light Brahman hen
    1 Production Red hen
    2 Black Sexlink hens
    1 Sicilian Buttercup rooster

Plus 2 pet chickens
    1 crippled Rhode Island Red rooster named Pegleg
    1 Black Sexlink rooster named Snowmobile

17. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I live in a little burg town on an acre and a half. Ive got 23 chickens and 3 ducks.

4 EE
    3 black jersey giants (1 rooster)
    2 silver laced wyandotts (1 rooster)
    2 cinnamon queens (1 possible rooster)
    2 australorps
    2 either RIR or production reds
    2 brown leghorns
    2 white rocks
    1 Delaware
    1 golden sex link
    1 I have no idea
    And lastly, my baby girl Hawkie Belle. She's a quail Belgium bearded D'Anver.

Ducks:
    Welch harlequin
    Pekin
    Fawn and white Indian runner

18. Beckie

Beckie New Member

We have 6 pullets...for now. We are planning on building them a larger coop/run area for those times they are unable to free-range on our property and I would like to get at least 6 more come fall.

19. sonofliberty

sonofliberty New Member

28 mixed brown egg layers, 1 roo, on 5 acres free range coop at night.

20. orna

orna New Member

Well...Do you want them for eggs, meat or both? Number of chickens and type will vary depending on your goal. How much housing do you have/ready to build? How much time do you have? How big a budget do you have for feed & maintenance?

I have 9 now and will eventually max out at 12-15 depending on how some chicks grow out... ;) The end result will most likely be building another run/coop and having 15-20; again, depends on who produces what....
    Then again, I'm about 5 min. from downtown!