How long after feeding medicated food can you eat the eggs?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by HerkNav, Jun 12, 2013.

1. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

My chickens just started laying eggs, but I've been feeding them medicated feed. How long after I take them off the medicated feed before the eggs are safe to eat?

2. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Sorry can't help you there. I have never feed my chickens medicated feed. Maybe someone else on here can tell you. Good luck!

3. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

What medicated feed have they been eating? If it is chick starter, then you can probably go ahead and eat the eggs, but just to be safe, I would scramble the eggs and feed them back to the girls for about 2 weeks. It will help them with some protein and the eggs won't go to waste. :)

4. Wazza

Wazza New Member

What is the medication in the feed and what is it for? I am not a fan of routine use of antibiotics and wondered why medicated feed was considered 'better'. Surely there must be something wrong with the system if this is 'necessary'...?

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Medicated chick starter vaccinates against coccidiosis, and helps with some of the vitamins they can use. It's just whatever you wanna use, but I used the medicated, to me it was better than possible risks. :)

6. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

I was using chick starter. I'm not a huge fan of the antibiotics either, but I bought my chicks locally and the breeder recommended using medicated starter. I was going to take them off of it as soon as their current feed runs out, which will be this week. I didn't expect to start getting eggs until August, so I didn't think it would be an issue. I was told that the medicated feed makes the eggs toxic.

7. Clearcut23

Clearcut23 New Member

That's good to know. I won't get eggs till August as well. I have 8 chicks 5 for eggs and 3 for meat. I bought them the big bag of medicated starter in April when I got them an it just ran out two weeks ago so now they are on grower feed. Will the medicated feed do anything to ruin the meat birds meat? The meat birds have maybe another month left. They also eat my grass and left over veggies and what not. They love watermelon.

8. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

Sorry, I don't know the answer about the meat birds, but I would give them some time to process the antibiotics before butchering. Maybe someone else has a better answer on the meat birds.

9. ReTIRED

ReTIRED New Member

Although I don't use it (medicated feed), I DOUBT that it has ANY effect upon the eggs.
    ( I feed my chickens leaves of garlic and alfalfa and hot chiles for "antibiotics". ...some other natural sources, also.)
    I don't think that the "medication" in the feed would be allowed IF it was detrimental to the eggs OR the meat.

just MY unverified opinion.
    -ReTIRED- :)

10. jwalk324

jwalk324 New Member

We were told to use it as well on our chicks! I am glad I found this app!

11. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

After some more research it turns out that it only takes chickens two weeks to build an immunity to coccidiosis, which is found in the dirt. You only need to feed medicated food for the first two weeks your chicks are on the ground. My wife read that Purina doesn't have anything in it that makes the eggs toxic, but someone could be allergic to antibiotics.

12. cluck13

cluck13 cluck13

A couple of suggestions

- Check the packaging of the feed & see if there are any directions on this. I'm coming from a grazier angle & here any drenches/vaccines we use tell us if there is a 'with holding period'.

- Or contact the company either through their website or direct & ask the question.

13. kjohnstone

kjohnstone New Member

I didn't feed my chicks any medicated feed, they are now more than 3 months and all healthy. I suppose the eggs you get in the store are from chickens that are perpetually medicated.?

14. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

No, once they build an immunity the medicated feed isn't required, but who knows what you get when you buy store bought. I'm pretty sure the commercial definition of free range is that the chickens can see outside.

15. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

Commercial "free range" chickens means they are not kept in battery cages - and in some states must have access to the outside (although this is usually a small concrete floor dog kennel sort of set up that they don't use anyway because they feel safer inside!)

These are commercial free range chickens (granted this is an extreme example - the free range hen houses here aren't so bad.).
    [​IMG]

Medicated feed comes from the need to prevent diseases in the laziest way possible. What I mean by this is that most home-raised chickens do fine on unmedicated - it was developed for these large commercial egg farms who can get new chicks from several hatcheries or distributors at the same time to fill their needs and don't have the time or desire to follow proper quarantining so instead the medicate everyone regardless if they are sick or not to prevent chick death at plague-like proportions.

That all being said there is a debate going on right now about whether or not this is harmful to people eating the eggs and chickens. It is aiding in the breeding of "super bugs" but as far as what it's doing to people eating these products? I don't know, but personally I wouldn't eat those eggs for at least two weeks.... but that's really just me following a gut instinct and I will be honest about that.

16. Chippets

Chippets New Member

Wow. That's not at all what I consider to be a free range chicken!!!

17. fowlmouthgirls

fowlmouthgirls New Member

How old are your birds and how many do you have? It seems strange to me that you would be still feeding medicated starter to birds that just started laying? I was told to feed my six one bag, then when I'm out to switch them to a Pullet developer, I'm transitioning to Coyote Creek, and have about a weeks worth of medicated left and my girls are 4- 7 weeks.

18. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

They are off of the medicated feed now. I was told by the breeder to keep them on the medicated feed for 16 weeks. here in Florida coccidiosis can be bad

19. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

Trying to edit and accidentally sent the previous post. As I was saying coccidiosis can be bad here and I didn't know any better. The guy had a lot of chickens, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. I only have one hen laying and she is earlier than she should be. I'm planning to wait a couple of weeks to eat any eggs

20. fowlmouthgirls

fowlmouthgirls New Member

He probably does it because he has so many, so that would make sense.