How do you keep a coop clean?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by charliechapman911, Aug 29, 2012.

1. charliechapman911

charliechapman911 New Member

I have recently got some new chickens and a new coop but It keeps getting really mucky really quickly lately... I have to clean them out every day at the moment but when I go back to school I won't be able to do it every dat!!!?? Is it like a faze they go threw with a new coop? Is it the chickens? Have you got any tips to keep it cleaner? Thanks

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I hate to say this but it may be your coop is too small. Also I believe that you should be scooping and cleaning and checking them daily anyway. You could do that at night.

3. charliechapman911

The coop cant be too small because I have 7 birds and there in a 15 bird coop???? They have plenty of room!! I sopose I could do It at night but it's a bit of a ball ache doing it every night so what do you think and I do check on them every day but I cant be assed to clean them out every night

4. rob

rob New Member

just because its advertised as a 15 bird coop does not mean it is. you should have around 4 square feet per bird or 2 square feet for bantams.

cleaning is easy if you keep on top of it, i pick up droppings daily and clean out completly once a week.

5. charliechapman911

It's advertised as a 23 bird coop but we would only suit it for 15 and that's with 6 squar feet for each bird

6. rob

rob New Member

should be plenty big enough then mate, just keep on top of the droppings everyday and youll find its easy to keep clean.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Someone from CLUCK just posted an article about using cement sand in their coop. Keeps the smell down. Good for grit. They scoop it like a kitty litter box. It also insulates the floor from drafts. That might be your answer.

8. charliechapman911

Thanks I will be shore to try that! Thanks :)

9. charliechapman911

Think there happy

Attached Files:

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I'm with Rob. I have vinyl flooring in mine with woodchips on the floor. I keep $ store salad tongs with an icecream bucket. Mess is only really under their roost so it only takes me a couple minutes. My nose appreciates the quickie clean job and they appreciate it too. ;) (I have 8 hens.)

11. stu-hens

stu-hens New Member

Looks big enough for 7 hens although cant see how its 6feet square per bird for 15 hens as that would need to be 90 foot square ie 10 feet by 9 feet and that looks no bigger than about 3 by 4 feet ???

12. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

that coup is too small. I have 26 birds in 12 x 12 coup they have plenty of room and their run is 4 to 5 time as big(maybe bigger) but I have it divided so I can let one side rest while the other is being used. When its light outside they are out ALL day. I keep about a 4 inch layer of shavings on the floor. I don't scoop poop!!! 26 birds too much poop!! I do rake it every other day or so and change out the shavings every 2 weeks or so. Honestly I don't get alot of poop in there to have to scoop anyway. winter is a little different. as they don't go out inthe snow!!!

I also try to let them out to roam the yard everyevening but the younger ones for some reason couldn't figure out how to get back in and I went out they were roosted all over the place.

13. FogBankPro

FogBankPro Junior Member

I've seen that coop advertised. It is a tiny prefab coop. I was looking at it myself but it would have been too small for my five birds. Who told you it could house 23? Parakeets maybe but not chickens. I mean, how would they even fit. It's tiny. It's too small for seven chickens, I'm sorry but it is.
    Here are the dimensions and as advertised bird allowable
    Overall Size: 51"W x 26 1/2"D x 43 1/2"H
    Living Area: 33 3/4"W x 26 1/2"D
    Nesting Box: 23 1/2"L x 11 3/4"W
    Hold up to 8-10 Bantams or 4-5 Large