How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by darjoe22, Jan 24, 2013.

1. darjoe22

darjoe22 New Member

It is 15 degrees in New York. What do I need to do for my chickens to keep them safe? They have an enclosed area to sleep in but it's not heated. Does it need to be?

2. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

nah your good! feathers are the best form of insulation!!! its negative 10 where i am and my chickens withstand-ed the night fine the past 2 nights!

3. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Even up here in Alaska most don't heat their coops. We have weeks where we don't get above 0*f. I still worry too. My coop is insulated and they huddle. Haven't had any issues yet.

4. darjoe22

darjoe22 New Member

Thanks for your advise. I'm a new "chicken mother" so I'm just worried about them. I did find that on the coldest days they tended to stay inside the enclosed area more do I guess they know what they're doing

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

It's 20 in NJ this morning. Dry cold. Thankfully not a lot of wind. But birds still want to be outside. So I let them. My polish just started laying again after a long vacation since Oct. So 3 eggs a day now.

6. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

-20 here this morning. I think I am going to keep them in and hope it gets a bit warmer out there. Brrrrrrr

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Well tonight my polish decided to roost where it's warm. I put the silkie in the coop with her as he's her sleeping buddy. Good for them! First dibs on the mash and water in the morning.