Hot summer.

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by aussiechicks, Sep 26, 2012.

1. aussiechicks

aussiechicks New Member

We are heading into what is meant to be a scorcher of a summer here in Aus, I'm after your tips for keeping chickens comfortable and cool.

2. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Shade and cold water will help lots!

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Add shade if needed and check water buckets (in the summer I have 3 or 4 water buckets) 2 or 3 times a day.

Best of Luck ...

4. rob

rob New Member

never have that trouble here in uk. our summers are getting worse every year. :(

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I save water bottles and keep 8-10 in freezer at all times, fill water buckets and put in 2-3 frozen bottles, it helps. Then rotate as needed, also I have the big 5gal waterer, I use a 2 liter bottle in it. Try it it works.. And in summer the wind is mostly out of the south (warm air) in the winter it's from the north (cool air) I have removeable panels in winter they are on the north side of run/coop to keep cold wind off the girls, in the summer I remove and allow as much air to blow straight thru, not cool air but it circulates and that's the best for them in summer.