Hi - Rooster Stud Service?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ChickenMansion, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ChickenMansion

ChickenMansion New Member

Just leaped from FB update to a member. Has anyone aquired a stud chicken? I would like to breed my Marans with a Maran Rooster (If one in my area), then take my girl home. (Don't know how long or when it would take). LOL, I would like to breed my hens, but I have a home owners association and don't think a "full-time" rooster would be allowed. Think I am getting away by the skin of my teeth with the hens in our 1/2 acre fenced yard (adjacent neighbors are OK with my contraban hens:)).

2. cathiesue

cathiesue New Member

I've wondered about this too. Most chicken farmers don't care to mingle their birds till after a quarentine period. Biosecurrity and all that. But, if a person could let their hen stay at "breeding camp" for a several week it might just work. Sorry i'm not offering stud services, just some encouragement. :)

3. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

Most people buy hatching eggs or a rooster to keep. If you can't keep a rooster from zoning, remember, you'll be getting about half roosters in the hatch. I personally cannot cull a chick, so I have three roosters.

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Hi and Welcome :)
    Like one of the others have posted. Most of the time whenever a new member is added to a flock there is usually a "quarintine" period. I dont think just taking a hen to someone else for breeding would work , unless the person didnt care about the possible risk of speading disease, mites, or what not. Personally if someone was that careless with their flock I would go to them. Sorry that probubly not the answer you were looking for.

5. piglett

piglett Senior Member

if i had to do it i would keep watch on the hens at my place for 2 weeks & dust em with DE
    then if i had a good backup roo that was looking for "work" well let him at em
    but my best roos are only going with my hens

6. BlackCrowFarm

BlackCrowFarm Junior Member

After a hen is with a rooster they have about 10 days to lay fertilized eggs. I'm thinking you eventually want fertilized eggs & chicks, so if you were to take your hens to be bred the person would A. have to collect your eggs & hold them in a cool place turning them at least twice a day or let the hen lay & make a nest setting them where she is at. Hens tend not to want to stay broody when moved from a distance.
    Unfortunately chickens are not like mammals, they do not have their "babies" at one time.
    It would be great if they did because it would open up a whole another business opportunity.:)

7. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

Funny I thought of starting a "rooster prostitution ring"! :)

8. piglett

piglett Senior Member

you will need a pimp hat :)))):D

9. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

o_O never thought of that! I shall put chicken feathers on it when they molt! Haha

10. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

You all are funny. Love it