Here's my finished chicken house and run

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by TinyHouse, Sep 3, 2012.

1. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

I have a few more little "touches" to make in the inside and I'll post those once it's all done.

Attached Files:

2. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Wow!!!!! I love that coop

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My god! It is amazing! You should be extremely proud. Beautiful! Really beautiful!

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I'm jealous. I got an ugly coop but it does the job.

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

That's cool right there... Awesome job !!

6. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

Thank you all. I'm still in amazement that I OWN a building this cool! I'd thought about a kit but, with the winds I have on this hill, something like that would never have held up. I don't want to be fighting a building or run and worrying about something getting into my chickens. I've already found big dog paw prints in the dirt around the run. :(

I want to let them free range when they are older but, between the HUGE hawks that seem to love to circle my place and the neighbor's dogs, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I'd be a nervous wreck the whole time. I'm going to put some raised beds on 3 sides of the run and a couple of "salad bars" inside for them so they should have more than enough "greens" to eat.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Wish I was one of your hens. Geesh! That's good living!

8. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke New Member

Nice hen house and run. Mine is so old I'm doing repairs all the time, especially after a bad rain/wind storm. Good job!

9. CherylC

CherylC New Member

Could I get your recipe to build me one of these. It is fantastic. This is my dream chicken pen.

10. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

11. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Just love your set-up too! I'm new to chickens this summer...its been quite enjoyable! Now winter is coming and I'm trying to get ideas how to give my girls a run plus their house. I have 14 and to lock them in the house all winter wouldn't be right. Everything is so expensive and since I started it seems to be snowballing! I keep telling my husband this is the last thing they need! (I lied!):p Will you cover your pen with a tarp? Thanks for any ideas1 Jen:)

12. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

I've actually been thinking about this since reading some of the other posts about winter and chickens. I'm on the top of a hill with no trees or anything to block the wind. So I'm thinking I'll get some thick translucent plastic sheeting to at least put on the west and north sides and maybe over the top if it's not too expensive. I'll have to staple it down really well so that it won't blow around and flap so much as to tear it off.

Ideas/comments? Will that provide enough protection or be worth doing?

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

A tarp might be more durable. You could reuse it. It has grommets for rope or other tie down. It generally looks nicer.

Let's see what the others have to say.

14. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

I guess the only reason I was thinking plastic instead of tarp was because of the light. A tarp wouldn't let any through.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Are you thinking clear plastic sheet as in flexible - whipping in the wind? Or clear plastic sheet as in fake glass window. I like the window idea. I don't like the whipping in the wind idea. Just my opinion.

I get the light factor though.

Tiny, you remind me do much of someone I went to bet school with. She moved to Alaska after graduation. You sedan to have the same pioneer spirit.

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I really hate spell check sometimes! :-/

17. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I was told to place a plastic tarp or sheeting around my coop for winter, but to make sure they still have ventilation.

18. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

LOL - I'm thinking you meant, "seem to have the same pioneer spirit"... right?

I wish - I'm pretty much of a pansy in a lot of ways. Stuff "sounds good" to me but I gotta have my creature comforts - like A/C.

I was thinking plastic sheeting - just really thick. I don't even want to think about how much a sheet of (even thin) plexiglass would cost. Although that would be a really cool idea.....

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

You're the one on site. You just asked for an opinion. I think plastic sheets flapping in the wind is just so trailer park, ya know?

Yes, I did mean Pioneer spirit! Damn spell check! Lol

And I meant that as a compliment. You're a real go getter! (At least that spelled correctly.)

Now say, Happy Birthday!

20. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

Happy Birthday!!!

:D

And thank you for the opinions and ideas - I do welcome them.