Hens on roof.

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by bonnie, Aug 17, 2012.

1. bonnie

bonnie New Member

My Hens have taken to roosting on the roof of the coop ( outside ) at night. Since my run is completely predator proof and it's been extremely hot, I let them. They are coming up on 20 weeks and my husband is worried that their first eggs will roll off and break. I may have to bolt down roosting perches inside because they do move a tiny bit and, it may be why the Ladies don't like them ???
    My other question is, should I have " freestanding perches " inside the run ?

2. rob

rob New Member

i have perches inside the run and my chickens love having a roost.
    as long as they have access to the coop they will probably go inside and use nest boxes to lay eggs.

3. bonnie

bonnie New Member

Hey Rob, Thanks !

I'm thinking they will like that too. Any DIY tips ? How did you secure the perch and make it ?

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

lol They are roosting up there, they wont lay an egg up there. They will find an enclosed safe place to lay their eggs . I wouldnt worry about them roosting up on top of the coop since its safe.

5. bonnie

bonnie New Member

APYL,
    Thank You. That's good to know. My husband says, he prefers his eggs " over easy " better than SCRAMBLED. ":)

6. rob

rob New Member

i ran my perch from the frame of the run. over the corner. ive also got some old tree branches that they roost on.

7. bonnie

bonnie New Member

Good idea. I just happen to have a tree branch. Yay !