Hens not laying

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by lbcoats, Nov 26, 2012.

1. lbcoats

lbcoats New Member

I have had my Americana's for 5-6yrs now, I have 15 of them, approx 2mo ago they stopped laying eggs along with my duck. They dont seem to be molting and have never quit completely laying all at once usually i still get 2-3 per day. The duck stopped laying 3 mo ago she is 2yrs old, Any ideas?? My husband is a farmer and is really giving me grief about spending money on feed for hens that are not producing, I have all together approx 40 including my roo's and only get 10 to 14 eggs per day.:confused:

2. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

5-6 year old hens should be thru layin.. That's old for a flock, and all being the same age, they draw social security together @ same time, and move to Florida LOL.. my oldest flock now 4.5-5 years, most stopped layin after 4th year, thats why every other year in early spring i hatch and raise 25-30 layers, (red & black sex links, RIR, Austalorps, Wyandottes, Dominecker, Aracauna EE, White Rhode Islands). (Yes I Sell a lot of eggs) Most make it,( 22 pullets this year)
    The cockerels are sold young or put on yard till pot size, pullets are free range 100% of daylight time, locked up tight at night & i may sell some and keep some to replace old hens. My layers (60 approx) are shutting down for winter, still 12- 20 eggs a day from 29 hens, most of 22 pullets have started layin, sometimes the early spring hatch at POL at winter solstice will lay a lot during winter, fingers crossed !!
    As far as ducks production.. I'm not a duck man... Sorry.
    You have any pictures? I'm new here tryin to figger this computer stuff out..

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Remind hubby when his time to retire comes, does he not want to be fed still or cut off because he's too much of an expense to have around? ;)

4. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Good one 7chick!

5. lbcoats

lbcoats New Member

I have posted some photos on the main page, not sure how to post them in a message! im new also! lol, i think i just figured it out, there is a picture of what looks like an envelope or a photo just above where im typing it says insert image, i will try.....Nope it asks for a url??? GOT it, its Attachments!

6. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

Then again I heard of hens layin eggs at older ages, But not as frequent.. One here and one there. No production ya know.