hen passed broken egg

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by seiuchin, Sep 29, 2012.

1. seiuchin

seiuchin seiuchin

Yesterday our hen (mellow) was "talking" to the hen (jazzabelle) who was in the nesting box. They do not share the box (which is a divided 4'box) It seemed she wanted to go in and lay. My friend (and co chicken owner) picked her up and put her in the nest area, but she was in there a short time and did not lay an egg yesterday. She acted normal the rest of the day. Today however we noticed egg yolk, and white, and then the rest of the egg pass out her vent. Now the question is what should be be concerned about.

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

This happens sometimes. More calcium in her diet will help strengthen her eggs back up. I mix oyster shell right into my girls feed. I've tried offering it separately for them but then they never eat it. :rolleyes:

3. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I had a chick that was just starting to lay eggs and the shell was soft like you explained...she is doing fine now. The food I buy is from Tractor Supply, Dumor laying crumbles and it says you don't need to add calcium. Give her a little time...I'm no expert, you better see what everyone else on here tells ya, then decide for yourself. Jen:)

4. kimberley

kimberley New Member

I also feed my the crushed up eggshells from the eggs i use. It just happens occasionally to all of them i think.l every now and then 1 of mine will lay a soft shell.

5. kimberley

kimberley New Member

ps i also crush up the eggshells very well.

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I have mine on Dumor too. Good choice Mamachick! Tried the Purina Layena and then their other one I can't think of the name of but is suppose to be pumped with added vitamins (has a girl holding a white leghorn on the front). Anyway, I had LOTS of shell-less eggs with Purina. My girls hated both versions of Purina. Went back to Dumor. I still get the occasional soft shell egg. Even with the added calcium in the feed, though they still need a little added extra sometimes. Depends too on what they get in in scraps that will give them a boost. I'm one of those fruitcakes who (and my hubby too so he's also a huge sucker) will make them up some oatmeal with milk on chilly days for a treat. :eek: Gives them extra calcium and a bit of added fuel to keep them toasty. That's our excuse for the added spoiling. :D

7. seiuchin

seiuchin seiuchin

Thanks. I have oystershell in a separatefeeder, but have not seen them eat it, so I will mix in the feed and see what happens and I give them yogurt and also feed crushed eggshell.She has been laying about a month. She has laid 2 double yolk eggs and her eggs are large, and the shells are hard. I wonder" could the egg crack inside, bbecause it was too big, or because she was handled before she was about to lay?