help with waterer and feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by wolfsnaps, Oct 9, 2012.

1. wolfsnaps

wolfsnaps New Member

Hi. I need some opinions and expertise. I just got chickens and a coop. The coop is small with a little run. I plan to get them a tractor but for now I give them supervised "forage time". Lol

Anyway, the interior is pretty small for these three hens. As such, they knock all their crap around. The previous owner used stainless steel dog dishes fopr both food and water. Well, as you can imagine, they get knocked around. The waterer is always full of bedding and everything is soaked everytime I go to change it. I looked at gravity fed waterers and am worried that they will take up too much space. I bought a small chick waterer which they knocked over.

Their house has a sliding door which allows them out into the little run area. Is it ol to leave their water outside and leave their door open all the time (even in bad weather)? Is there a better waterer I can put inside?

I am at a loss! I went to water them just now and again their coop was soaked. Poor girls were so thirsty!

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. I want to do my best for them.

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Pics? How old are they? What type waterer? I put food and water up on bricks, elevate it so they don't scratch stuff in the water, they can stretch pretty high to get water, put waterer close to side and put a piece of wire around it, loose enough to remove water easily, and tight enough that it won't turn over.

Again, pics are the easiest, fastest, and most helpful way to get replies in a more timely manner. We all have a different vision in our head of the problem and the solution, just sayin..

Cogburn

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I have the same problem. My coop is pretty big so I used a 5 gallon bucket but you should be able to use even an icecream bucket. I cut a hole in mine and have the lid on. Someone else on here I seen the other day and the same thing. Mine have no problem sticking their head in for a drink and not so much wood chips getting in anymore. I cut the hole on mine about 1/2 way around the bucket so its wide enough for a few to get a drink at the same time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. wolfsnaps

wolfsnaps New Member

7 chicks...awesome idea! I might try this. Need to find the right container first. Thanks!

5. Australorp

Australorp New Member

wolfsnaps, I am using The Thirsty Bird for my hens and they love it, no more cleaning and refilling the old plastic waterers and my hens have clean water 24/7. Take a look at thethirstybird.com and see what you think, it's a lot cleaner and with the internal float system it stays full all the time. :)

6. rich

rich rich386

I found these HORIZONTAL POULTRY WATERING NIPPLES on Ebay. They do not leak 100% better than vertical type!

Attached Files:

7. rich

rich rich386

What do you think about this? Auto filled basicly hook up your water hose and it's installed.

Attached Files: