Help please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Stories and Images' started by charliechapman911, Aug 21, 2012.

1. charliechapman911

charliechapman911 New Member

Hello anybody who's reading this thanks for looking!! Right hears my story

2. charliechapman911

Well first I really wanted chickens but my parents didn't let me then finally I convinced them to let me have some. so we got a old coop off my sisters friend and 6 road island reds I got them home and they was all fine and dandy until one day I was cleaning them out and saw loads of Gray and red little bugs crawling around I didn't think anything of it until a few day later when we was handling them that we saw all of the little bugs again in our hands and on the birds so we went to the local pet store and got some feed and we asked them what it was and she said red mite and now I don't know what to do???? Please help She was trying to sell me some red mite stuff fr £56 and some powder for £73 I thought that was outrageous PLEASE HELP HOW TO GET ROD OF RED MITE?????
    Thanks for reading
    Charlie chapman

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Do you have a place for them to take a dust bath? If not, fine sand works amazingly well to get down in between each & every feather. Then you must clean corners really well of coop, boxes, change any bedding (shavings, straw, hay) regularly. And oil the seams and corners with linseed oil. To smother any eggs or stray bugs you may miss.
    Sounds like Lice & Red Mites also there's Northern Fowl Mites that's really thrive in cooler climates.. Theres medicated powder available and put it in a trash bag and put chicken in and give it a quick shake shake.. Then just a little maintenance to keep them free from bugs is much easier than doing this again and again.

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Good Luck !! Keep us posted

5. charliechapman911

Thanks cogburn thats a good idea I have brought some of the powder to go on the chickens ? How do I do it? Thanks again charlie

Attached Files:

6. kasbrooks

kasbrooks NM Chickens

Dust your birds and coop

I agree with Cogburn. Dust your flock. I really like the idea of using a bag. Use caution to not get the dust/powder in the chickens face (nose, eyes, mouth). They have fairly sensitive respiratory systems. I also dust my houses and coops with Sevin dust. Good Luck!

7. charliechapman911

Thanks Kasbrooks !!! We have ordered a new 15 bird coop and we have a pest controller coming to smoke the new coop and then I'm going to dust the perches and corners with diatom and I'm going to dust the birds with diatom too but how do you dust the birds down? I like the idea of putting them in a garbage bag but It might get in there eyes ect is there a safer way of doing it? Thanks Charlie :)

8. rob

rob New Member

you can get a product here in the uk called smite. its only around £6 and can be used in the coop and directly on the birds.

9. charliechapman911

Thanks rob I have a bottle of smite but its a spray (not aerosol) and its to go in the coop and around the feeders and drinkers but it did get some diatom to go on the birds I just dont know how to put it on them ???? Any ideas???? Thanks Charlie

10. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Hold bag around neck and head stays outside the bag.. Shake and Bake.. Lol sorry I had to.. Just a small amount of dust in bag.. And leave some air in bag, hold feet and head and shake. Maybe the first time use 2 people to see how it works.. Not violent shaking just enough to get dust between feathers... Also I use a sock and fill with dust and it works well too

11. charliechapman911

Thanks cogburn I will be shore to try this method I will probably be doing it tomorrow because our new coop was meant to be coming today but it didbt so it must come tomorrow lol thanks for all of the advise keep it coming thanks Charlie :)

12. cogburn

cogburn New Member

No problem Charlie.. All the best to you and the chix..

13. charliechapman911

Thanks chad for all of the help and reassurance you are one amazing person :) !!