Help! Dog bitten chicken

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by guineafowlSA, Oct 8, 2012.

1. guineafowlSA

guineafowlSA Junior Member

My hitherto wonderful dog with the chickens went for one of the Ameracaunas (Cleopatra) this morning. She let go but not before Cleo had lost a good number of feathers and has one quite deep tooth bite on her back. She went into shock and I nursed her for half an hour until her eyes widened again and she stopped panting. We have partitioned off the stable that we have the recovering rooster (Phyl who used to be Phyllis) in, I bathed her back in Dettol (should I use an antibiotic cream?), put in some warm barley porridge, water, a corncob and some laying mash and made some laying boxes for her. She is still very quiet although can move around so it seems nothing is broken. I put her into the new nesting box and have left her alone to recover. Is there anything else I should do? The rooster can't get to her. (He's the one who was henpecked two weeks ago and has been languishing in solitary since then trying to regrow his neck feathers. We're getting there. Whew what a morning.

2. guineafowlSA

I forgot to say that she was about to lay an egg when she got grabbed - she had gone into the old doghouse to lay it. Now I worry what will happen to her if she doesn't lay that egg? Will it get stuck inside? Will she be able to lay it later?

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I would add giving her electrolytes to help boost her system. This is quite a shock for her little body. I even still use save-a-chick for my girls if something is wrong injury or illness wise. Because of the exposure to bacteria, the antibiotic ointment should be fine to put her injuries same as we would our own. Corn cob might be a bit heavy for her tummy right now. You have a nice mix of treat for her to choose from. You're doing everything right. Just keep her confined to a small area for a day or two. Play it by ear. Let us know how she's doing and we'll help you along as we can. Take a deep breath. You're doing a good job. :)

4. guineafowlSA

Thanks Three chicks - husband took her to avian vet this morning who gave her a thorough exam and antibiotics as the wound was infected and she had a fever. (she had survived the night but seemed unable to fly - thought she had broken a wing but vet says no) and is keeping her today.
    Wow - expensive for one hurt little hen.

5. guineafowlSA

Sorry should have been 7 chicks - didn't read it properly