Hello from Southern NJ!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Roseann, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Roseann

Roseann Junior Member

Just joined...figured I'd hop in here. I am fairly new to chickens. We have only 3 hens that we got back in April. We started with a Mobile coop/hen-house. Since then we started to let our girls...free range. They LOVE it and we love them. They currently give us 3 eggs a day which is more than enough for our family of 4.

Glad to have others of "like-mind" to chat with on this new and uncharted territory.

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hi Roseann! I started the same way with my chickens for housing 2 years ago. Now that coop tractor has been my back up 3 times since adding 3 new hens over the past 2 summers and lately an occasional retreat for my much pecked on australorp. Since where I live its cold for over 1/2 the year, they have a main insulated, heated coop to stay in. During the day though, that old coop has been getting a lot of use now. Ummm, hubby left me to go to a fur/feather swap Saturday unsupervised and I ahhh sorta found this sweet little 5 mo. old Araucana hen that I just "had" to bring home ... :D

Hope you enjoy the site here. Lots of comradery I've found on this site.

3. rob

rob New Member

hello and welcome. :)

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hello from Monmouth county NJ.

5. seiuchin

seiuchin seiuchin

Hi, I am fairly new on this site. We got 3 chicks March 31. Thay have not started laying yet (17 weeks old) but they should be laying by the end of this month. Hope they lay in their nest box.

6. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

Born & raised in S. Jersey. Relocated to Oklahoma where I love it. Welcome to the Chicken Forum.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Where on South Jersey, Tony O? I'm from North Jersey originally. Now from Central Jersey.

8. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

Born in Camden, raised in Erial. :cool: Know where that is? :) I bet'cha don't. :D

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

No. I don't. Lol I know Bergen county well. I'm still figuring out the middle of the state and it's been 6 yrs. I used to work in some places in the south of the state. I know I liked Ohio and Wisconsin when I lived there. I think I'm a farm girl at heart. That's tough in NJ sometimes. :)

10. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

It's in Camden county, Glouster township, in a line between Camden & Atlantic City. I could't live there now. To many stupid rules, regs, and laws telling you what you can & can't do. Can't even change out a front door, or replace a board on your step, without buying a permit first. :mad: I'd be in trouble all the time because if something needs done, I'm gonna do it and I ain't buying a permit to fix something on MY property. . . . Just sayin. :)

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I know. I just built a gazebo in my yard and I didn't get a permit. F--- em! Lol