Hello from Michigan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jonathco, Jul 20, 2012.

1. jonathco

jonathco New Member

Hello, I am from Mid-Michigan and grew up with chickens all my life. My wife and I live on a 3/4 acre lot in a small township now and are looking to get chickens fairly soon. So far, this site has been a god send!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Welcome jonathco! What kind of chickens are you planning to get?

3. jonathco

jonathco New Member

I live in a township with Chicken ordinances; while I realize the Michigan Right to Farm Act protects me, I will probably go with a nice quiet breed like Australorp or Orpington just to be appeasing to the locals. What's the quietest breed in your opinion?

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Welcome to the group :) In my bunch my Silver Lakenvelder, Spalsh Andalusian, and White Cochin are my quietest girls. The rest "talk" all the time.

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Welcome !!!!

6. jonathco

jonathco New Member

Thanks everyone! Glad to be here

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I have an australorp that's just over a year old now. Lilah's just a doll; follows me everywhere. Very sweet, docile, beautiful girl. Not noisy either like my rhodes or barred rock. Also very intelligent breed. Gets along with others well. Another I have is part australorp part leghorn. She too is a lot like Lilah. I have heard that orphington's tend to be more noisy. If I had known what australorps were like before I got the others, I would have gone more with that breed. Love my other girls too but they are more bossy and hard to blend in other chickens with. Does will in cold & hot climate. Hope this helps you with your decision. Good luck!

8. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Which township? Depending on how rural it is, it could be changed. ;)

Welcome, from near the Gratiot/Montcalm county line :D