Hello from Central New York

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by helenblindchick, Sep 5, 2012.

1. helenblindchick

helenblindchick New Member

Hello, Just wanted to introduce myself. We live in Central NY, about an hour south of Syracuse or 20 miles from Cornell. We own a large horse farm and will very soon be getting our first hen-she's blind, hence my screen name. We are also getting a disabled Pekin duck.

Of course I've done a lot of research and reading. Helen, our blind hen does see some sort of light through the cataracts b/c she started laying-she's about 6 months old, about an egg every day or so. Her current owner, a veteran chicken owner is stumped about Helen. I have raised many differently challenged animals-from blind cats to a colt who had scoliosis-came from a Thoroughbred farm, so it seemed fitting Helen and Hercules, the physically disabled duck come here. Our horse farm is for breeding, training, lessons and I am a 4-H leader. I also own a therapeutic riding/equine assisted therapy program and know that Helen and Hercules will be great ambassadors. We don't serve those most disabled but moreso those who are more ambulatory and communicative.

I can go on but here's a beginning. We'll be getting a friend for both Helen and Hercules and their pens will be safe and secure for each of them. My 18 year old daughter and I are already coming up with therapeutic measures to protect Hercules's leg. He'll be one fashionable duck! Thank you!

J

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome to the Forum or as I like to call it, Chicken Land. I'm in NJ but I just got back from a trip to Ithaca as my son goes to the music conservatory there. Glad to have you aboard.

3. helenblindchick

Thanks E, I am an native of Ithaca and most of my family is still living there. Our farm is in the next county (Cortland), where it's much cheaper to live.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Maybe we can trade chicks in the spring or something. My coop and run have just shipped. I will have housing very soon. Then on to supplies and perhaps electricity. Then in April - babies!!!!!!!

5. helenblindchick

chicks

Thanks for the offer E, I am keeping just Helen and another buddy. It's more for them being ambassadors then eggs per say. If I do end up getting more you'll be at the top of my list to contact. Thanks