Hello Everyone New Member

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ladyt, Sep 16, 2012.

1. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Hello everyone,
    Just joined the forum as I will be getting 20 hens in 5 weeks time,I've kept chickens on and off over the past 10 years,but not had any for about 4 years now...and I miss having them around me while gardening and growing my vegetable...
    I run a small organic vegetable growing company in Bradwall,Cheshire England..
    I sell vegetables all year round and need to start to introduce some new ideas and eggs is something I'm asked for on a regular basis...and they'll be very free range hens as they'll have 1 acre to run around in...

As for me I'm 42 married to John with 1 son of 3 1/2yrs... I like gardening,chickens,photography,walking, meals out and being with my family...:eek::eek:

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome LadyT. Welcome to Chicken Land. Hope you find your answers and some friends here. I'm from New Jersey in the USA. We love pics here so get your camera ready. :)

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Welcome from North East Texas, that's in Texas ! Lol.. Kick your shoes off and get comfy !

4. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Welcome from New York...lots of good information on here! Jen:)

5. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Thank you all for your welcome messages... I had a very busy weekend with a new trade show event in our local town .... All went very well... Thank you again
    Lady Sarah..xx

6. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Hello ,i too am in England:)
    Great to know there are more organic farms about now .
    Do you keep bees too ?

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hi Ladyt! Happy to have you join us. :) What kind of hens are you getting? How old?

I've been debating yet on calling my nearby feed mill for a hen. When I ordered my first 6 day old chicks 2 1/2 yrs ago, they had said I could even order a hen up to 6 months old at any time. Been lonesome for my little easter egger I had gotten earlier this summer who passed away 1 1/2 weeks ago. Just not sure though about this late into the season of trying to introduce a single hen. Usually I use the old little coop tractor to keep it separate with one of my very docile hens for a couple days before letting it in with the whole gang. I let the newbie free-range with older girls too first for a couple days under supervision to see how it goes. Where I'm at in Upper Michigan, US, its already getting chilly. Too chilly for me to want to keep any of my hens in the old little coop at night. The big coop is by far more solid too as far as keeping predators out. Oh what to do, what to do .... :)

8. ladyt

ladyt New Member

No I don't keep bees as I'm allergic to bee and wasp stings...So not good...

And Hello to you glad I've found someone else on here for the UK...x

9. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Hi I got my first 5 chickens yesterday 22/10/12 they are marans x rhode island red, 4 hens and 1 cockerel, which I didn't really want but, he's so beautiful he's going to stay... xx

10. ladyt

ladyt New Member

I got my first chickens

Hello everyone, yesterday I got my first 5 chickens 4 girls and I cockerel,which I didn't really want but He's so beautiful I've decided to keep him... They are all Maran x rhode island reds.. very dark red/brown and black... I haven't taken any photos as yet but there will hopefully be some for tomorrow....
    They had a busy day yesterday thye came from the local live stock market and then in to there temporay home in my office/shed... As there new shed does not arrive until friday... But there very happy and have settled in really well... they spent all of today outside in there pen... scaracthing around eating bugs and there food too... they had a bit if corn this afternoon which they really liked ... I'm really happy too as they've added some entertainment throughout of today...
    Hope you're all having a good time with you're chickens....xx;) :p

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hello LadyT from New Jersey. Welcome to chickenland. Enjoy your visit. :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  12. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Here's a few photos of the girls and charlie the cockerel..xx

Attached Files:

13. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Very nice !! Welcome !!

14. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Well I've had a very busy week, got 5 more chickens Rhode rock which a re really beautiful, lots of gold and black and deep green fleckes I'll add a few photos shortly...
    The chicken shed is now up and fully running and has had it's first major clean out today... I like my girls to have a nice clean house when they come in at night, I think they like it too...
    I know lots of people do there at different times once a week ,once an month every 6 months...but I don't like them coming into a mucky house ...so for now they'll have a good clean out every saturday or sunday and a quick clean up each day...

What do you do for cleaning ?,I'd like other peoples opinons please...

I've used a new type of bedding for me today called easychick.. it's very fine wood chipps wnd seems to work for me really well as a floor covering... then there straw on top...

Anyway hope you're all doing ok out there in chicken land....Lady Sarah...I'm really enjoying all my chickens..

15. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Here's a few photos of the new girls...x

Attached Files:

16. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Had a lovely experience last night with one of my hens...Every night when i put them to bed in sit on a perch at on end and give a few of the a cuddle and have them sat on my knee.. Last night one of my first batch of chickens decided to come and sit on my shoulder... I was a little nervous at first but was ok after a short while... They like me and my husband to sit in with them just for a short while before we go home...

Lady Sarah..xx

17. ladyt

ladyt New Member

It's been another chilly day up at the veg garden and chicken shed... The chickens had a busy day none stop eating as usual... but when they went to roost I had one sat on my shoulder again for almost and hour,which was really nice and very warm... we've now named 3 of them...Charlie the cockerel , pecky or ginge,( as she's like the pone out of chicken run) and 'goldie' which is the one that sits on my shoulder...
    We're off to the local farm animal market tomorrow to hopefully get a few more...;)

Hope you're all ok...Lady Sarah..xx

18. k9735mm2

k9735mm2 New Member

i have question,,,what size light bulb would u recomend for chicken coop 4 ft x 5ft thank u

19. ladyt

ladyt New Member

I used and suggest you try these ,battery operated LED's You can pick them up quite cheaply too.. I got 2 for £1-00 earlier this week from a pound land shop.. you'll just need 3 x aaa batteries ( used a re-chargeable) type.. They work well for my chickens ... There are lots of solar lights you could use to... but you don't want anything to bright as the chickens do not like it to bright...

There maybe a thread on here some where regarding lighting,it's good to look for all answers...

Thank you for asking... Lady Sarah..x

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  20. ladyt

ladyt New Member

Hello again..I got my very 1st EGG!!! today...as well as 8 more hens.... 5 more rhode rocks and 3 french copper black marans...it was one of those that laid the egg...around 3pm today... So as you can probably tell i'm a bit excited tonight...and so very happy that I now have at least 3 laying chickens....

Hope everyone else is ok...Lady Sarah...xx