Hello, Brand-Newbie Here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Camilla, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Camilla

Camilla Junior Member

Hello All!
    I am brand spanking new here, and looking forward to absorbing all kinds of information like a sponge....
    Hoping to have my own coop in the next year. Just need the Hubby to find time to help me design and build it.
    Seems I have found a great wealth of information here, it will be fun to browse through every ones photos and see all the different coops that are out there.

It is just the two of us, so I am thinking that maybe four hens would be enough?
    We do live in NW Montana, so need breeds that tolerate the harsh winters, and would LOVE colorful eggs! It would be nice if they were fairly social as well.
    Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

2. rob

rob New Member

hello and welcome to the forum.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hi Camilla! Welcome from Upper Michigan. Happy to have you join us. Chickens can be very social. The more they are handled, the more friendly they are. I have 9 now (started with 6) and all are pretty good (except Macie) about being held. Most of mine even stop and wait for you to pick them up. Course we stop whatever we are doing outside to oblige. They have us wrapped around their little claws! :D

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hi Camilla. Welcome from NJ.

5. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Hi there! Lil Sophie waives hello! Lol

6. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

Hi Camilla, welcome from New Zealand!

7. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Welcome from New York! :) Jen

8. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Hello,and welcome from Australia...

9. Camilla

Camilla Junior Member

Thank-you ALL for the warm welcomes! :)
    Looking forward to getting to know you and all about keeping chickens.

10. Lissa

Lissa Junior Member

Hi Camilla and welcome from New Jersey!
    In Chicken Magazine this month (I believe it is published by UrbanFarm, saw it at Tractor Supply today), it lists cold hardy breeds. An Easter Egger was listed and they would give you some nice colorful eggs. It might be worth picking up.