Hawks and Eagles after my flock... EEEEK

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by geminicowgirl, Oct 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

Watched a hawk almost get my Roo today. Scared the life outta me my Roo was bigger than the bird trying to catch him. Is that normal? What can I do?

2. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

Just read crows can help, anyone have luck with this method and how do I attract them?

3. katiec123

katiec123 New Member

Hawks have taken a few of my chickens, I felt sorry for my chickens to have to stay in their coop all of the day all of the time so I would let them out to rome. That didn't exactly go so well. Foxes also have taken a few, my chickens now have a vary large run that they can go into and are safe from the hawks and foxes. What kind of birds are after your chickens, Great Horned owls are threats to some hawks so maybe you could set up a decoy Owl or something. Good Luck

4. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

Fantastic idea, it looked and sounded like a golden eagle, but young and an inexperienced hunter thank god

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I have 2 decoy owls in my yard. Only thing they seem to be accomplishing is looking like lawn ornaments. I actually had a turkey vulture flying low over my girls in the back yard one day this summer. Good thing my girls tend to listen pretty good. Managed to get them gathered up near me and under the little deck. Well except for super stubborn Macie who just simply likes to defy me. She stood in the middle of the yard with an attitude. I don't trust anything. My girls are in their fenced in run with that heavy small 1/4 inch gauge fencing and its roofed. If they're outside to roam, its when I have my German Shep outside with them and if I'm not out with, I'm in the kitchen keeping an eye on them. Probably a bit overboard on my part but I'm so devastated any time something happens to one of my babies. I was so heart broke over losing the 2 chickens of mine (one this early Sept. and the other May of 2011) that my hubby made me get another within a few weeks both times. My girls are for pets so I get really attached. They just bring so much joy to my life.

6. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

Mine are pets too, my heart was in my neck when I saw that damn eagle come within inches of my Roo, I don't even know what I would have done if it got him. He is pretty docile and not much of a defender of his girls.

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Its the most awful feeling isn't it. Neighbor's garage cat was here yesterday. Course I had just let my new chicken (banty) run around the yard for the first time too. Bless Lily's heart, (my german shep) she let me know that cat was here. I ran around frantic taking inventory of the girls and hollering for Butterscotch (My new banty I had given to me this past Tuesday from my cousin & her two daughters 8 & 10.). Around the corner of the coop out pops Butterscotch looking at me like "what?" I was SOOO happy to see her! Good thing she knows her name! ;) This is the survivor of 2 fox attacks so I guess I should know she'd outsmart a cat. :D Still, scared me good! These darned chickens waste no time weaseling their way into the heart do they.

8. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

You may want to call the wildlife management in your area. They gave us a special box of shell for the shot gun for Hawks. They do not kill the bird but scare them off and best of all it worked.

They also gave me a reflective streamer to use around the coop. Which also done well. Note this was a number of years ago, so I'm not sure if they still offer them but it may be worth the call.

Best of luck ...

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Good to know Sundancers!

10. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

Very good to know, I will call our ministry of wildlife, see what they say. We have pretty strict gun laws here in Canada but they may have other good ideas

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Good luck! Let us know what you find out.