Hatching today

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by rjohnson, Nov 21, 2012.

1. rjohnson

rjohnson New Member

My silkies are due to hatch today, but the momma stopped sitting on them this morning. Why would should do that? I've been checking on them every hour also, and so far there are no cracks or anything.

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

How long has she been off the nest? Usually the mamas get off the nest occasionally to stretch their legs, when they sense the weather is warm enough to allow them to do so, but during the last few days they sit tight.
    Have you candled these eggs at any point to be sure they were developing and aren't duds?

3. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I would candle the eggs.

4. rjohnson

rjohnson New Member

She's been on them pretty tight till now. I candled last night and they are still good. I was able to see babies real good. It is pretty warm here today. crazy weather but hey its oklahoma.

5. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

She still off of them? Mama is a silkie, correct?

6. rjohnson

rjohnson New Member

She is back on them and has been for a couple of hours. and yes she is a silkie. My daughter and I went back out after dark and candled again and they are still moving around. We figure they will hatch tomorrow while we are not home, and our kids wont be able to watch it.

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Glad to hear she's back on them. Prob'ly one last fling for mama before she sets in for the heavy work.
    Sorry you'll miss the actual hatching, but once mama brings them out they'll still be just as adorable.

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

And we'll all be sitting here waiting for pics of the new precious little wee ones. Hint, hint. :D

9. rjohnson

rjohnson New Member

Last night our chicks were still peeping and moving the eggs all over, everything looked and sounded great, this morning I checked and there has not been any movement or sounds coming from the shells. It is now 4 days past the due date. I'm going to through them out i guess. The temp and humidity were fine in the incubator so i dont know what happen.

10. sandra

sandra New Member

If babies are still alive and peeping don't throw them out. Moisten the shells with water and watch closely and keep warm. I had the same thing happen with a batch of duck eggs. Had to bring the eggs in and I put them on a heating pad with tools to regulate the hear and I misted them regularly and in a couple of days they hatched.

11. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

Is this Roy ?