hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by Chickenladymej, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Chickenladymej

Chickenladymej Junior Member

I got some hatching eggs from Ebay yesterday. What are the chances they will hatch. I have broody hens and put 6 eggs under each hen. I have never bought shipping eggs and am not sure what to expect. Has anyone used shipped hatching eggs and what were the results? Thanks for sharing.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Twice I've tried to hatch shipped eggs and out of 19 total eggs 1 duck hatched. There are just to many issues with shipping I will no longer go that route.

3. Chickenladymej

Thanks for the reply. That is what I am thinking but I thought I would give it a try. I will candle them in 7 days and see if they are developing. I am wanting some buff silkies and was hoping to get some hatching eggs for them.

4. dfwquiltr37

dfwquiltr37 Junior Member

From what I have heard from those that get eggs that have been shipped is let them sit and settle for a few days before you put them in the incubator. This way the yolk and whites have a chance to settle to they are suppose to before you put them in to hatch. I want to say they put them in the egg carton with the big end up and let them sit for a day or 2 maybe three if there is time. They got a much better hatch rate once they started doing this. I hope this helped.
    deana

5. twentynine

twentynine New Member

I don't do shipped eggs. The reports I have read cover the spectrum, from total success to miserable failure. One day I'm going to give it a try but right now I use eggs layed here.

Good luck with your hatch, think positive thoughts.

Keep us posted.

6. Chickenladymej

I hatched 4 eggs out of the 12. Not too bad considering what eggs go through with shipping. Will try again next year to try to get some silkies. Worth it for the little blue baby cochins that hatched. They are doing very well. A little over a month old now. Thanks for the replies.
    I let the eggs set on the counter for 24 hours and then set under a couple of hens. Figured that natures incubators would work better for me. Crazy one of the hens died over night after the eggs were almost ready to hatch. No sign of any problem just died. She was heavy so she didn't starve.
    The eggs under her were cold. I put them under another hen setting at the same time. Two hatched!! I would never have believed they would.
    So I guess you can say I was pretty pleased with the outcome of my shipped eggs. (Except for losing one of my little black cochins).

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

How sad about your hen. =( My aunt did the eBay deal for eggs I believe. Out of 14 or so eggs, 13 hatched. This was geese though so not sure that makes a difference.

8. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Junior Member

I had 8 shipped and 2 hatched. I got another 25 silkies on EBay that are in the bator now that were shipped. I haven't candled them yet, they've been in since Oct 3rd. I had another 8 silkies shipped previously and none hatched. I think it was a humidity problem. Right now there is no water at all and the humidity is anywhere between 17 - 20%, temp steady 99.5. Fingers are crossed...supposed to hatch the 24th, update will follow. My guinea hen was killed sitting on a nest. The eggs were cold. I put 16 in the bator and 12 hatched. I had no idea how far along they were, I heard them peeping one morning and took them out of the turner and all but 4 hatched...so amazing. I have one hatch on video :)

9. Chickenladymej

Eggs must be stronger that I expected. Had always thought if they got cold were done for and would never hatch. Learn a lot talking to other chicken lovers. Four babies that hatched out of my shipped ones are doing very fine. Nice looking. Hope to have both sexes. Can't tell yet. Enjoy my chickies.

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Awww Chickenladymej, how can you tease me about fuzzy little babies and then not show me some pics? :D Congratulations on those tiny darlings!

11. Chickenladymej

Never thought about photos. I will have to see if I can get them to stand still long enough for me to take some. LOL

12. Chickenladymej

Hope these show up. The lady I bought from called them True Blue Cochins. A friends said she called them Self Blue. I call them Cute......

13. Chickenladymej

The pics don't seem to be showing up. I can see where I downloaded them but
    don't show on my post?????? says on "Quick Reply" the jpeg. is valid but how do I get them to show?

14. CrazyBirdLady

Don't see them....?

15. Chickenladymej

I got them to go into an album. They are named True Blue & True Blue Cochins. I don't know what I did or didn't do to get them on this tread. Still showing on Attach Files.

16. CrazyBirdLady

I'll look for them...still new on this site and learning :)

17. Chickenladymej

Me too. I know just enough to get alone OK. Would love to know enough to be comfortable with all the new devices. Hope you find them.

18. dfwquiltr37

Here are some pics of my Sikies. The one that looks like he is in the Bathroom I am thinking he is a Silkie Mix. And my hen with her eggs I just found her like that yesterday.

Attached Files:

19. dfwquiltr37

Okay this is how I did it...
    1. see the paper clip symbol click on that.
    2. Then go to the top where u see the buttons that say Browse. Then click on each one for each picture you want to load up
    3. once u are done you will see the at the bottom where u would type a post. Just type about the pics or what ever your message will be. When u are all done hit the button "post Quick Reply"
    then they should post in here.
    I hope this helped.

20. CrazyBirdLady

OMG those Silkies are the cutest! I'm hoping to have a successful hatch, just took 20 Silkie eggs off the turner this morning....hopefully by Tuesday I'll post pix of chicks...fingers crossed x