Had to put down a Rooster

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by redmaples, Sep 27, 2012.

1. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

You know if I didn't raise and process my own meat birds I wouldn't have been able to do it.

The other day I to remove one of my roosters from the run. Since I mixed the birds last week he has picked on different birds very serverly. He is a 5 month old partidge Rock and the hens are an easter egger who was a little bigger could hold her own and a Silver spangled hamburg which are smaller (but fast) and he just picked on them something awe-ful. So I separated him gave him 3 day to cool off put him back he was OK for while went back the hamburg had no feathers left on the back of her head and a few blood spots and he was chasing her around the coop and run. that was it for me. Too bad he was turning out to be a beautiful bird. I guess sometimes you get an agressive one that is just too rough on the hens.
    I still have the Rhode Island red, he is very gentle with the hens and has a great disposition with people as well. There seems to be much less tension with the whole flock since he (his name was Jim) was taken away.

Its never an easy thing to do. :(

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's my biggest concern about getting chickens. I've euthanized animals, but I've never killed a chicken an eaten it. That's a big worry for me.

3. oakwood

oakwood New Member

You did the right thing for the sake of your flock .
    No, it is never easy .
    I do all the culling here , my husband will not kill any animal .
    So i have to kill any sick , nasty natured , etc birds .
    Sometimes you just cannot wait for a vet .

4. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do it.? I am only asking as one of my fave girls Penny had all her insides hanging out of her bum and we thought the best thing for her was to put her down, I could not do it but my partner did, but not having done it before he was not sure on the most humane way.. Much appreciated if anyone could let me know.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

So sorry Redmaples. Not an easy decision to have to make. =(

6. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

I will send you a private message its really no secret but from my experience its the fasted and most humane way even though there is really nothing humane about killing!!! You can also look up videos on you tube as well, they have them on there. Also one of my newest heros is Joel Salatin...The farmer from food inc. He actually shows them processing chickens in the movie basically thats how I do mine as well. just a much different set-up. But I don't sell mine they are just for my family. I actually decided to start raising chickens for meat shortly after watching that movie.

7. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

My Grandma would wring their neck, I on the other hand never had the nack for that so I use a axe/hatchet.

Quick and easy ...

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Agreed Sundancers, sharp hatchet and a stump, 2 nails about 2" apart bent in slightly, many don't care for the "show" afterwards, flopping and all, so if company is around I keep a modified traffic safety cone, the orange ones, nearby and it's a lot less "graffic".. To the squeamish city folks.

9. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Thanks guys... I do remember way back in high school in horticulture class, my teacher picked me out to witness a culling of a chicken, head cut off with an axe, I was mortified and still to this day I remember it clearly and I often wonder why he picked me out of all the class to watch.... But thanks again guys!!

10. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Thank you redmaples for your message, much appreciated..

11. TerryQui

TerryQui New Member

I have butchered many to eat, cornish x that were not at my farm. There are some of my girls that I know I won't be able to do that to and don't want to think about the time when they are too old to lay. I guess it is just a matter of relationship.

12. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I am not sure how I'll put down the next one that needs it. My husband was my go to guy. Then he just stopped and he can't do it anymore. He was never comfortable with hands on holding them down and using a hatchet, so he would shoot them with the 22 and after they were done flopping then he would either bury them or butcher them depending on what they were killed for.

Something happened along the way and he won't do it now. That's why I have 6 roosters, he was going to butcher the two when they were 14 weeks, he even had a vacation that gave him plenty of time off, but he didn't do it, and he wouldn't tell me why.

I had an injured hen about 9 months ago, and my son took care of her for me, but I didn't prepare him enough for what happens after they are dead and he was freaked out to his toes. He has taken care of many a groundhog for me, but this was somehow very different for him.

So, now I have no one to turn to. In the beginning my husband was the one that wanted to fill the freezer with chicken, and we have only eaten a few that we raised. I would like to cull out some old hens for young ones, but the only way left to do it is to give them to people who will eat them and humanely butcher them. I've lost a few of my three year olds to basic old hen burnout, but as for culling, I'm on my own.

I'm not very good with the 22 rifle, maybe I would do better with a small handgun, but I don't know about the hatchet, I don't think I'm there yet.

One of the first things that I tell newbie chicken keepers who gush and goo-goo over their new peeps is: Be prepared with how you will cull an injured or sick chicken. No matter how much you love them the day will come when you will need to put one down. You may say now that you will never kill one of your animals, but if it is injured past simple doctoring you will have to be able to put the poor thing out of its misery. You have to take off the rose colored glasses to reality and have a plan in place. It isn't easy, it never gets easy.

13. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

Well my other rooster must have learned from the other how to be a jerk!!! He is a RI red but he is great with me. too bad he is picking on the same hamburg poor thing!!! She's one of my most consistant layers and didn't lay for 3 days I took him out yesterday morning and there was an egg from her last night(she's the only one that lays a small white egg) but He can stay he just will be outside the run and coupe I just have to build him a little rooster house that he can stay in. try to get that done this week sometime. He is a really friendly guy though. likes his waddle rubbled!!!

14. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

Very True!!! couldn't have said it better myself.

Get a cone they are restrained and can't flop around!!! they don't freak out and its over in 15 sec. I got mine from randallburkey.com I think it was $29 I have 3. check them out they have lots of stuff there. I also get my red meat birds from there as well. they are out of texas

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Thank you Redmsples. I need that cone too. Now I know where to go.

16. Cescacharl

Cescacharl New Member

Great advice there guys. I know after hatching we have a couple of boys that we won't want to keep, I have them advertised for a new home, but know if they don't go before they're 16 17 weeks then it will be the table for them. Hard for me to swallow but I know it will need to be done. If anybody has any links to any favourite you tube vids or any websites please share them with us. Thank you

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

A video on here under the meat thread.

18. Jim

Jim New Member

I had to cul a chick a week ago, I just kept telling myself it was a fish I had caught and was cleaning.

19. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

I saw a video on YouTube of a "chicken lady" (I believe she calls herself that) very humanely & calmly culls her chickens. She walks through every step and the whole thing is very peaceful & calm. I will post a link if I can find it again. :)

20. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

I found it! Here's the link: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_S3P0eU0lE"]respectful chicken harvest part 1 of 2 kill and pluck - how to - YouTube[/ame]

It's a respectful & peaceful chicken harvesting. THIS is how I want to do it, when the time comes!