Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenAdmin, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Does anyone here raise goats?

I raised and Afircan Pygmy when I was a kid. It's name was Goat (I'm not that original) and it was always getting into trouble. One morning it broke into the garage and chewed through my speaker wire getting a decent shock. I ran outside when I heard the "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" and there is was licking it's lips and looking at me like I did something wrong.

From that point on it wasn't allowed to free roam the property and was confined to the back four acres.

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I have one left ...

Sold them all but the one, when a man showed up and said he wanted to buy them. So I gave him a price and he said, "alright" :eek:

They were all dairy goats and most of them fresh. I've had a few pygmy and they broke be of that breed. lol

3. rob

rob New Member

i had a pure white nanny when i was a kid, i used to take it for walks. people used to borrow her to clear the garden.:D

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I would like to add a pair of dairy goats to my little hobby farm. My daughter was going to do goats for 4-H so we built a pen but then she decided to do poultry instead. Maybe next year or so we'll get a set so the pen can be used.

5. jn4

jn4 New Member

got a couple meat goats and hope they will soon multiply:cool:

6. ziggiejones

ziggiejones New Member

When I get started I hope to get a couple of goats for milk and the pleasure of raising them. I had a couple when I was young and loved them. I can not wait to get started but I guess I have to until we can afford them.

7. ChickenAdmin

Why didn't you like pygmies?

8. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Because they were into everything. :D Our farm is fenced for more of a large critter rather than small. So they either went under, over (jumping from anything they could) or through it. (woven wire)

So they had to go ...

9. Hook

Hook New Member

Have Boers, Nubian and La Manchas. Fresh milk and the kids think they are dogs.

10. ChickenAdmin

They do. And they are just small enough to hit your shin every time they butt.

I never raised full size. I was always told as a kid they could do damage to kids.

11. swats

swats New Member

We want to get a couple nubian does to star with hopefully next year. My daughter is so excited she cant wait.

12. ChickenAdmin

I had a great time raising mine. They can be oddly affectionate animals.

13. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

I am getting ready to get a couple Nigerian dwarfs and mabey a few fainters. I have always wanted goats and chickens figured I have the chickens now time for the goats. I am going to wait until late Sept to get them a lot of travelling from next week until last week of September.

14. arkienurse

arkienurse New Member

We recently got a couple of Boer goats for 4H project. DH likes the way they look so much he has found 2 more. So we now have a wether, a buck, and 2 does. Boers are meat goats and stocky muscular animals, much different than the brush goats we were used to.

15. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Myotonic or Tennessee Fainting Goats....have been a breeder since 2000! Here are some pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These boys are well over 200 pounds and outstanding herd sires....great meat goat producers!!!

16. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I want some goats but here In Alabama I can buy a donkey cheaper.

17. kmrussell

kmrussell Junior Member

Pygmy Goats

I have raised the large breed bucks and found they were the sweetest creatures on earth. They were so friendly. I than went to raise Pygmy Goats. A couple of years ago I sold 18 of them. They consisted of bucks, does and several babies. I kept one little goat. Her name is Baby Fay. When she was 4 months old my bucks got in by her and bred her. I kept her as I wasn't sure what was going to become of anything. Proud to say she gave birth at 9 months to a very healthy baby girl we named Gracy. I have no problems with them staying in their pen.;)

Attached Files:

18. ChickenAdmin

I never get tired of watching fainting goats faint.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I live sheep and goats. Small ruminants seem to have become the forgotten farm animal. Too bad as they have a lot to contribute. You are a lucky person to be able to enjoy goats and chickens.

20. LollinPops

LollinPops Junior Member

We have a few goats - little pet boxes! Stuart is the alpha male, but when he was little, he would jump around like Stuart on Mad TV-hence the name. Then there is Pippy - her markings are black with a white hind leg-hence Pippy Longstocking. We also have Doololly and her little buckling Sprite. I love to sit and watch the goats. We did have a hard time keeping them pinned for the first 4-6 months we had them. They ate all my roses, stayed on my porch, layed in my swing, would stand on the porch at the window and baaaaaaa. Finally we put them in a fence with electric current - works - no more porch goats!