Quail Getting Started Need Advice

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by BaldTC, Sep 28, 2012.

1. BaldTC

BaldTC New Member

My Wife and I are just getting started in raising poultry, we have 12 Pharaoh Quail Now 10 chicks and One Adult Male and One Adult Female, we are in Arkansas if that gives you an idea of the climate and what not, and I was wondering if anyone had any information or advice for us, we plan on moving into more game birds later on but want to get a good start with our quail, any advice for housing feeding breeding hatching brooding any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You and God Bless!!!

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

First I would check to see if I needed a permit for Quail, some states do some do not.

If I can ask what are your goals for the birds ... backyard hobby, extra meat for the table or to sell to hunt clubs... etc.

I would look at each a little different ... :)

3. BaldTC

BaldTC New Member

Well backyard hobby mainly, of course we will most likely use some for meat and I'm sure we will sale some birds at some point... So I guess a mixture of all three

4. rob

rob New Member

i like quail but ive heard they are very noisy ? or have i been miss informed.

5. BaldTC

BaldTC New Member

My Pharaoh Quail havnt been loud, I only have 2 adult birds and only for about 3 days

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

So then just some basic info ...

We had more wild critter problems when we raise quail than with any other fowl. Coons, fox (red & grey) and bobcats were all part of the mix. So Making your coop very predator safe would be a must.

The coop should be free from dampness and cold drafts. As with most birds.

We had 1 male for each 3 female ... they are very territorial. Also I could never get them to use the nest box.

We used an off the ground cage. Much like we used for our rabbits, it had a indoor housing with a small run area.

Hope this helps a little & best of luck. ;)