Gender help

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by oneflew, Nov 5, 2012.

1. oneflew

oneflew New Member

I found this chicken as an abandoned chick, and would love to keep him/her but am not allowed if he will eventually crow. I am very attached to this chicken (Mitchell) so I am hoping it's female! I would say he/she is about 5 months old, not sure if that's too early to tell. Thanks!

Attached Files:

• roo?.jpg
      roo?.jpg
      File size:
      42.1 KB
      Views:
  2. oneflew

oneflew New Member

Oh, also what breed. Thanks kindly.

3. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

Not for sure but if it aint a rooster it will be laying very soon

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Wow, a better shot of the inside of it's legs would help, to see if there is the start of spurs. So far, it really looks like it could go either way.

5. piglett

piglett Senior Member

that comb is really red so could be a he
    but not sure what breed or breeds the bird is

6. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I believe it's a mixed breed, which is just fine.
    I'm on the fence about gender. The hackle (neck feathers) end in points, which screams roo!; I believe I see the start of some fine saddle (back feathers) too. Then you get to the tail and the tailfeathers look rounded, which says hen - in a roo they would be pointed as well (except in the case of a few breeds where the roos are what's called hen-feathered). What I would do is in a case like this is to lift the outer hackle feathers and see what the feathers look like underneath. If they are pointed to, then I'd say you have a fine young rooster.

Give me just a sec and I'll post a pic of a mature roo so you can better understand what I am talking about with the hackle, saddle and tailfeathers.

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Okay, this is a mature rooster. See how his neck (hackle) feathers are all pointed at the tips? Then move back to his saddle feathers (on his back, just in front of the tail), they're pointed too. Lastly, look at his tailfeathers. Points there too.
    [​IMG]

8. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I'm thinking he is a rooster.

He looks a lot like a Delaware, but he has some brown on his wing area, and some black here and there where a Delaware would just have white. All of my Delaware Roosters have been very pleasant, well behaved boys if that is any help.

9. patlet

patlet New Member

Looks like a rooster but I don't have a clue regarding breed.

10. oneflew

oneflew New Member

Thanks everyone, I believe I do see the start of spurs, thinking he's got to be a roo...I'll enjoy him while I can. Thanks again, much appreciated! <3

11. patty12

patty12 New Member

mixed breed rooster