Gardens

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by BootedBantam, Sep 2, 2012.

1. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I don't see a section for chickens and gardens, so I put it here. I use the chicken poop in my garden, scooped up daily and tossed in garden. I also use eggs shells in my garden to keep away crawling bugs, like slugs or whatever. Crush them up and sprinkle all over garden. My roo has free range of the front yard, where I have sunflowers, watermelon, and baby pumpkins. He hasn't touched anything yet except a few sunflowers that grew near his bowl. My food garden is in the back, should I let him in there to get bugs? Any gardening and chicken advice would be great.

2. Jennibobs

Jennibobs New Member

They will not only eat the bugs out your garden they will eat all your plants too, I let mine free range till all I had left was mud! I am moving to a bigger garden soon and will try letting them in most of the garden again, I will just fence off the bits I want to grow,

3. BootedBantam

I was thinking of making them a wooden pallet planter box and fill it with foods they like and need in their diet? What do you peeps think would be the best things to grow just for the chickens? My backyard garden is fenced in with chicken coop wire, that is where I got the leftover wire to make coop when roo showed up...Any ideas?

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I wouldn't go through the trouble because whatever you give them they will eat to the ground. Might be better to just toss in beet greens, carrot tops, extra lettuce and such as it arises. Mine used to love clover so I gave him that as often as I would find it growing.

5. BootedBantam

So a variety of green leafy veggies and leaves. I am building the box to put inside to grow for winter, Not planning on bringing in the whole garden just a few roots,( you pick roots from your garden before winter and plant in box to keep alive for spring) just enough to feed fam and chicken. I grow my own food, so I wanted to know what to grow extra this winter for him. I already started drying out sunflower seeds.

Love love all the advice...My man keeps shutting the computer on me saying "are you in chicken land again?"

After your lavender advice, I ordered lavendeer seeds and eucalyptus seeds to grow around or hang in pots near coop. ;)

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I've head very good success with root crops like beets and carrots. Do easy to grow and you can harvest and plant again every few weeks. Lettuce is the same. Pick and start some new seeds. Grows fast and easy to restart over and over. Mellon and pumpkins will give you lots of green to feed them while you get a few squash or melons or pumpkins to eat. Dandalion is very easy and you can make tea. Same with camomile. Rosemary will grow into a big bush outside once it's winter hardy after 3 years. Also alum is pretty, is good to eat and grows very easily. Well just some ideas off the top of my head. I'm inching toward being self sustaining with my food. Not even close yet, but inching bit by bit. Now that my husband left, I imagine I will move much more quickly along those lines. This next year decides if I get to keep my house. That's my biggest immediate goal. :)

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Gosh you sure have a lot on your plate Energyvet. Wish you lived nearby. We'd help you in a heartbeat with the coop and everything. One day at a time and all will work its way out.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

You have no idea.... :-/ but I don't want to get into a pity party so I'll just say ..... You have no idea. But ya know, being with chicken people is really become the best part of my day. Or as you say, my visits to chicken land! I've always loved chickens and now I get to indulge myself on line. So I'm feeling optimistic for the future. :)

9. BootedBantam

My garden.....The board on the ground is to block off garden when dogs have to be left out alone. All from seed.

Attached Files:

10. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Wow! Nice garden, love the sunflowers.

I received some free "chicken salad" seeds with an order from My Pet Chicken. I put half the package in a really big pot and let it grow on my deck, then I moved it into the run when the lettuce mix looked tasty. The girls loved it!!! And then they loved throwing all the dirt out of the pot too! So I scooped it all up and will replant it when it starts to cool a bit. I picked up some seed packets on sale late in the year and will plant those in the pot in the house this winter and then take outside. I think I have beets, carrots and lettuce. I also plant BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) in the winter and feed them sprouted. Playing in the big pot gives the girls something to do in the winter.

11. rob

rob New Member

my garden a few weeks ago

Attached Files:

12. BootedBantam

Looks like heaven to me!! I would put a table where you are standing, some nice linens, candles, and prepare to feast!! That is beautiful. How long did it take to get there? What's your favorite crop? And do you use the chicken poop for compost?

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh oh. You asked for garden photos....

Attached Files:

14. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

Looks gorgeous.. my chickens are not allowed ANYWHERE near my garden... they dont match well... after everything is harvested i give them the left over stuff.. ill throw the bad tomatoes and such down to them, but now the new goat likes that stuff and beats them to it.. LOL..

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I do a little gardening myself..

Attached Files:

16. rob

rob New Member

Its my first season of growing, i grew it all from seed. my favorite crop was my sweetcorn, and yes i used chicken manure for compost.
    my carrots were a disaster lol

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Nice little plot there Cog! You eat well! Lol.

I made my first ever Tomato Meat Sauce from scratch today. Gotta tell you it smells amazing! Used my own fresh tomatoes and herbs. Used fresh garlic and onion. I'm kinda proud of myself - a little.

Wish I could share it with all of you!

Attached Files:

18. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Looks good !! Yes mam I eat good.. I can and pickle just about everything I grow.. Made a big batch of salsa, chow chow, and my famous hot sauce... Dang it sure is better than store bought !

image-2873779394.jpg

This is pico de gallo.. Don't have pics of anything else, I guess they were deleted.

19. rob

rob New Member

that sauce looks good :D

20. BootedBantam

Love love.....I had a good harvest, first year at this house. I totally redid the whole front and back yard. It's small, yes, but building my little sanctuary. Once the coop is done, I want a pallet bench for next to fire. And planting more next year in the back. I do have baby pumpkins planted outfront, they will be here in time for Halloween to make the house look festive.