Fresh Foods?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by aecarlton, Nov 11, 2012.

1. aecarlton

aecarlton New Member

I like to make my hens a fresh salad everyday. Right now they get organic tomatoes, collard greens from my garden. I also throw in apples, oranges, and different meats as I have them. Today they had shrimp. What kinds of fresh foods does every one else feed their chickens?

Attached Files:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Tomatoes, lettuce, squash, pumpkins, baked potato skins. Whatever we have pretty much. Chickens sure get spoiled these days hey. :)

3. aecarlton

aecarlton New Member

I like to spoil my girls :) I count on them for food and entertainment, I feel I should give back to them. And I hate throwing away fresh fruits and veggies that are just a little too ripe for us. This way I have no waste.

4. Keith

Keith New Member

Our herd is pretty spoiled, anything left over pretty much they get, the dogs have been getting the raw end of the deal lately.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

While I do not make a special salad for my chickens they do get the odds and ends, left from what I make for the family ...

greens and stuff goes to the chickens

meats scraps/bones to the dogs

coffee/tea bags to the herb garden

:D

6. Chickadee

Chickadee New Member

My chickens have access to my compost bin. They love acorns, but they have to be shelled, of course. I also give them assorted leftovers, peelings, etc.

7. robopetz

robopetz New Member

I just gave my buff silkie some melon. She was scared after she pecked at it (her first time) then she ate half a piece and was uninterested after that. Haha

8. kimberley

kimberley New Member

my love grapes and cooked leftover grits especially with cheese in them. love tomatos just about any veggies love cooked corn also

9. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

My chickens make the most happy noises when I give them spinach!! I also give them left over veggie scaps. My chickens eat very well.

10. EmmaJB

EmmaJB New Member

Mine devoured a couple of slices of cheese pizza yesterday! And this morning they enjoyed pecking at some leftover peas, broccoli, cauliflower and sprouts (I made far too much Sunday dinner yesterday!) the whole courgette I gave them the other day lasted about an hour, yet they were not sure about the giant tomatoes I gave them from the allotment :/ they didn't finish the carved pumpkin I gave them when they first moved in, but I took that out after a while before it went past it!

Apart from the tomatoes, they seem to eat everything lol :) variety is the spice of life!

X