Free sweet corn and other tips.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by ThreeJ, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Get to know your local farmstand, I just got 3 bushels of old sweet corn. To old to sell, to good to throwaway. Just right for the chickens, and the lady said she would be interested in buying my eggs. As a bonus a few squash and cucumbers were in their too.

In the fall old pumpkins find their way into the coup as well. Stores don't sell many after Halloween see if you can dispose of them.Chickens love that stuff.

Anybody have any other good tips post them up.

2. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Going tonight to pick as much old sweet corn as I can get. Should last a week or two. Extra squash is out there too. My chickens are going to be eating good. Thanks to my local farm stand.

3. dbbd1

dbbd1 New Member

Unfortunately, the stores (at least around here) will not give away their old produce- liabilty. They actually have to throw it away. I know because I have tried for their old apples for some horses down the road. Now, if you want to go dumpster diving...

4. jn4

jn4 New Member

'round here corn is a hot commodity......never any left over at the feed store.......what I do is buy a 3 100lb sacks of whole corn each season and crack it myself. I make up my own staple feed with corn and other grains. For around 80 to 100 US dollars I can produce enough feed for the entire year with enough left over to treat the goats occasionally. Compare that with Dumor feeds at 18 to 20 bucks (or more) for a 40lb sack

And as a by product.....I grind cornmeal and wheat for my wife.....normally a 5 gal bucket full that will last all year.

Makes for some mighty fine cornbread and batter for frying fish. My wife actually prefers it to store bought.