Fox

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by kazmac, Oct 21, 2012.

1. kazmac

kazmac kazmac

Hi all
    I have a fox that takes my chicken's. Is there any netting or something i can use. I like my chicken to be free. I live in Swansea UK. Thanks :(

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Only defense I know of is to lock them up tight at night. My cousin lost all but one to a fox this spring/summer. She had hers roam too with access to the shed/coop. I just took in the soul survivor a couple weeks ago since she decided that's it. No more poultry.

3. BigECart

BigECart New Member

Electronet fencing should protect them from foxes.

4. chickensandquail

chickensandquail Junior Member

5. rob

rob New Member

you could try an electric fence, these are redily available. but prob best to lock them up at night. i have my coop inside a caged area. the chickens can get up as early as they want and i let them out of the run during the day.

6. kazmac

kazmac kazmac

Thanks all, the fox come's in the day time when the dogs are out. That night they are locked away in the shed. :mad:

7. sandra

sandra New Member

I taught my chickens to go to bed at night. When it's dusk, they go on their own into the chicken house. I lock the door behind them. Come dawn, I open the door and everyone comes out and goes where ever they want all day. I not only have foxes, but I have coyotes too! The coyotes are way more of a problem than the foxes. I also do this with my waterfowl, ducks, geese and swans. Since I have trained my birds to do this, I haven't lost anyone to predators. I also have seƱor lights around the house so when something comes near the house, it triggers the lights to come on and when I see the lights come on, out the door with go with gun in hand!

8. rob

rob New Member

unfortunatly we are not allowed guns in this country. unless its an air rifle lol

9. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

We keep a radio on in the coop all the time . Not on music, on a talk channel so it sounds like there are people in the coop. Have never had an animal go in the coop at night since we keep it on. Just an idea for you!

10. sandra

sandra New Member

That is unfortunate but the sound of an air gun is scary too.

11. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I went out tonight ad for the first time ever heard a fox. It sent chills down my spine and I'm sure all my birds were on high alert.
    I keep them in a coop at night but I'm still worried.