Forum and Chicken newbie. :P

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nyaro, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Nyaro

Nyaro New Member

Hi!

I recently decided to get some chickens. I've always loved them and thought they were so useful and cool. Luckily my parents both love chickens too and my Dad has had or has cared for many in his lifetime so I have some guidance, but I still know I need to learn a lot before next Spring (when I decided I would be ready to get them). Not to mention I need to look into coop designs and figure out how to build one myself (or at least find one to modify).

So coming across this forum was awesome. XD And any starting advice would be great!

EDIT: I live in New Mexico, so it's pretty hot. I'd have 3-4 hens, no roosters to start with, and the coop would be in my backyard (which has enough space for that and some wandering during the day, possibly). I have tall walls around my yard, but the neighborhood does have a lot of cats, so they wouldn't be out unsupervised necessarily).

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Hi and welcome. The only advice I have is to keep it simple! Oh and dont over think, their chickens and dont have emotions or think like we do. They need secure shelter to protect them from predators, they will need circulation in their coop but not a draft, make sure and look for a breed that will tolerate your weather. And congrats on the decision to get chickens. Spring will be here before you know it.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hello Nyaro! Lots of helpful info on this forum that should be able to point you in the right directions. Really nice people on here that lend a wealth of great advice and info when you need.

4. Nyaro

Nyaro New Member

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to perusing the topics. :D

5. rob

rob New Member

hi nyaro.
    im a total novice at chicken keeping as well, i found this sit most helpful as there are people on here with a vast knowledge of chickens.
    there are also some great coop pics as well to give you some ideas, good luck !

6. Fabiola

Fabiola Junior Member

Hello from Bernalillo, NM.