Flock block

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by DansChickens, Sep 24, 2012.

1. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Flock block I bought from tractor supply my chickens love it thought I'd try it has anyone used this before?

Attached Files:

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Nope ... but my son works for Southern States ... lol

Tell me about it. ;)

3. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Well it's kinda like a salt block except for chicken it's full of calcium and stuff helps them lay eggs they just eat on it and eat on it I set it in there and they went to town haha it takes them a few weeks for them to eat it I beat on it with a hammer to get the started and they have Been eatin the corners and sides pretty cool

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Neat ... I do get a sheep and cow block but have never seen the flock block ... :)

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I've seen them at Atwoods & TSC. Never bought one.. Just didn't know if they'd eat it.. But I think I will get one next time.. Thanks !

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I will ask my son if they have one ...

7. adorson

adorson New Member

I got one only once! I bought it, brought it home and was so proud of myself, thinking the chickens are going to love it! But no, as soon as I put it in the coop, the ones inside started screaming like I put an alien in there. Then they warned the others outside to not come in because of the alien in the coop! I left it for about a week and they never touched it so I then took it outside and the wild birds loved it!

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

How sad. Sounds like a great product.

9. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Looks good, I am going to have to try one. Maybe it will keep them back by the barn.

10. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I ask my son ... they have one but a little differnt. :confused:

But will give it a try ... thanks, for posting ... :p

11. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

I just had a conversation with some ladies while shopping in the chicken section of feed store about these. One buys them for her birds in the winter, gives them something different to do. Our winter is getting ready to hit, and we will have snow till April or may. I haven't ever bought one, but I probably will, just to give them something other than each other to peck on.

12. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Wish they were sold in the UK.

13. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

I looked out the window when I woke up they were back there going town again I just hope they don't over eat

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Look on Amazon. I saw them posted at 4-5 websites there just yesterday. Made by Purina/landolakes.

15. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I make a chicken cake with oats, yogurt and eggs for the chickens. I plop out pieces and they gobble it up! I usually do it near the molt for the extra protein or when I'm over-run with eggs. I make it in a huge 12x18 sheet cake pan and mix 18 eggs, a quart of plain natural yogurt and about 8 to 10 cups of whole rolled oats, then bake at 350 until it's firm, around 40-45 minutes. Cool and feed. A half recipe would fit in a 9x13 cake pan, probably bake 35-40 min.

I sometimes add flax seed or kelp meal if I have extra on hand.

16. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

That sounds like a very interesting idea! My hens are always so reluctant to eat any of the minerals I give them, maybe this will help them out.
    I have never seen these before, I'll have to check tractor supply next time I go in.

17. annlouise

annlouise New Member

Pets at home do a small one that you hang up in the run my 4 went crazy for it

18. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

image-4168096670.jpg

Bought the girls their first flock block today. They weren't sure what to think of it at first. They did figure it out and seem to enjoy it. It should keep them busy for a bit.

19. Janey

Janey New Member

Can you get them in Canada (British Columbia)???????:)

20. ethel

ethel New Member

Looks like a good idea. Are they expensive?