Flock Blending

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by sorrowsmiles, Nov 8, 2012.

1. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

I have 3 groups of chickens, different ages and breeds that I can't blend peacefully. The oldest ones were here first and one of them is at the top if the order. Two groups are ok roaming the yard during the day but refuse to sleep in the same coop. The hens attack any other chicken I try to put in the coop at night. How can I blend these 3 groups successfully and with the least amount if violence possible? Thanks everyone!

2. BigECart

BigECart New Member

How many coops do you have? Three flocks, three coops? If so, maybe you can combine the two that free range together by putting them into a "new" coop - the one that neither flock "owns". Then add the established hens one or two at a time, working from least to most aggressive.

Just guessing here.

3. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

Hmm. Just one coop! >.< Eventually I'm going to have get another one for the Orpington pair. Maybe I could...Ive no idea lol. I don't want the barred Rock to feel left out but I don't want mixed hatching eggs. Dunno which of the other two groups I could try putting her with. Think I'm going to have to get 2 more coops and just section my backyard into 3 seperate areas with poultry netting. Lol.

4. piglett

piglett Senior Member

we have the some kind of problem
    we have buff orpingtons, english orpingtons, silkies &some oddball hens that are just for laying eggs for the house
    we are getting a bator come dec. so by the end of the month i'll have to put up some chicken wire in the main coop so each breed had it's own area. come spring i guess i'll be setting up 4 runs also.
    i also don't want "mutt" chicks

5. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

The five oldest ones got closer than ever today! (One of the Orpingtons is hiding in the ivy). This is the closest I have seen them in the yard without the hens-the light brahmas-chasing the little ones off! I'm very relieved. Maybe they CAN all just get along! LOL. Eventually! By that time, though, the littlest chicks will be heading outside! Heheh. Chicken drama.

Attached Files:

6. piglett

piglett Senior Member

whenever i add new hens to the flock they all go over & peck her
    then all the hens start pecking each other
    i just added 6 older but smaller redstars plus 1 silkie roo to my main flock
    they went at it for about a day or 2
    they still peck the little roo some but not all that often
    mostly the bigger hens peck him to show that they are above him
    i have only had 1 big fight where things got bloody (2 big roos)
    once that happens you should step in
    but unless there is a bunch of blood let em sort it out themselves
    that is just their way

good luck
    piglett