Fleas!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Barnbum374, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Barnbum374

Barnbum374 New Member

Any tips on how to get rid of them? We just can't seem to get rid of them this year.

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

If you are talking about in the house ... a flea trap works wonders. (I have 3 dogs and 2 cats in the house.)

All you need is a pie pan (or any pan with 1 in walls), soapy water and a light over the water. The fleas jump at the light and end up in the soapy water, where they can't get out.

This works very well! (Make sure the light will not tip over into the water. ;))

If you are talking outdoors well I have used nematodes but as we have 40 acres ... ;) They work well for a yard.

Best of luck.

I change the dogs bedding every other day in flea season.

3. Chicka-Js

Chicka-Js New Member

We have outside dogs and we put cedar chips in there house for bedding it helps keep the flees away.

4. Barnbum374

Barnbum374 New Member

Thanks for your tips! Our dog are outside dogs, so luckily we don't have them inside the house, but I feel so bad for our dogs. I've tried shampoos, dips spot ob treatments and collars with no luck. We have 20 acres that they protect.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Advantage works wonders on our dogs. Plus, the stuff you hook to the end of your water hose for mosquito control (we like off brand) kills fleas as well! Just eat it dry before dogs re-enter.

6. Barnbum374

Barnbum374 New Member

I'll try advantage. I've tried other brands, but had no luck with them and gave up on the spot on treatments.

7. Bee

Bee New Member

I've tried the Avantix II this year and it has been worthless. All efforts have been worthless...it's kept them down to a dull roar but the dog is still scratching. Never saw a year for fleas like last year and this one.....before I could always get by with a flea collar but not now.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything besides the usual...I've tried the healthy route(my usual) and the chemical route(collars, shampoo, dusting, meds on the skin/back, Ivermectin, etc.) but these are some kind of super fleas!

8. superflydog

superflydog New Member

Go to Home Depot and buy garden lime, it's about $3 a bag, on my 3/4 acre I use 2-3 bags in a broadcast spreader. The lime changes the ph of the soil and the fleas can't live in it, we haven't treated our dogs in years for fleas and have not even seen 1 on 4 dogs! Give it a try!

9. applejackacres

applejackacres New Member

New product called vectra 3d for dogs...stops flea feeding in 5 mins, kills fleas in 6 hours after applying. It's only available at the vet. Seems
    to work better then advantix. It's worth a try.

10. Kords-Coop

Kords-Coop New Member

I heard sprinkling diatomaceous earth helps to fight flea and mite problems organically.

11. Kords-Coop

Kords-Coop New Member

I use it and I don't use any type of special flea meds on my dogs, just routine weekly baths

12. hennypenny68

hennypenny68 New Member

I just ran into the same problem there really bad this year I finally broke down and got advantage nothing else was working and now were flea free thank god it works awesome.

13. bcfox26

bcfox26 New Member

What about ticks? What's the best for that? They are all over the place this year.

14. Bee

Bee New Member

I haven't seen a tick in years unless it's when we traipse out in the woods for things...the chickens keep them snapped right up around here. I really can't remember the last time I took a tick off a dog or one of us.

15. hennypenny68

hennypenny68 New Member

Don't have a problem with those either cause of the chickens they gobble them up.

16. superflydog

superflydog New Member

Again, Lime will clear your yard of fleas and ticks, no chemicals needed, no expensive flea meds, just lime your yard.

17. bcfox26

bcfox26 New Member

Unfortunately my girls have not been doing their job of tick eating. I am still finding a few. I think they are coming from neighboring unkempt yards.

18. Barnbum374

Barnbum374 New Member

Advantix II seems to be working better than anything else we tried. I'm going to add lime to the soil an see if that will completely take care of them.

19. kjohnstone

kjohnstone New Member

This makes some sense, since they seem to need a humid environment.........but what about old fashioned flea powder?

20. BirdManSamiJD

BirdManSamiJD New Member

We have never had fleas on our dogs til this year! I heard that a garlic pill a day helps & In two weeks the fleas have vanished! Now if i could just get the dogs to stop begging for the peanut butter every time i bring it out , I'll be okay!
    Also, Taking a garlic pill every day myself has kept the ticks & chiggars from feasting on me this year! I recommend it to everyone - - It Really Works!! :D