Fleas on Chickens

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Kokoschicks, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

What is the best way to control the fleas on my chickens? I bought 4 red sex links and their beaks were snipped and I think this is the reason why they have fleas. Cuz they must have trouble picking them off themselves. Any sugestions?

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

A few people on here who really know their stuff, mentioned Frontline spray for puppies on a post about mites. It'll help with fleas, mites, etc. Safe for chickens too. The thread called mites will explain more in better detail. :)

3. muranofarms

muranofarms New Member

Are they actual fleas.....like a dog gets? Or lice, mites etc?

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I'm betting lice...

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Frontline will work on any insect. I've used it on plats with bugs too. Fipronil is a chitan inhibitor. That's the exoskeleton on a insect. Frontline is very safe stuff and still works well - and now it's generic too!

6. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Lice sorry

7. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

My vet has recommended a product called Ivomec - it controls worms and mites. But there is a week-long withholding period where you can't eat the eggs.

Does anyone know if there's a withholding period using Frontline?

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

No withholding on Frontline. Promise.

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

As with any pesticides (poison), I use a withholding period... 7 -10 days. (But that is just me. ;))

A lot of folks have no problems with them, while others do. I say do a search on them ... then do a pro and con list. (research is my friend.lol)

Fipronil the main active ingredient of frontline (or it was the last time I checked) and here is what wiki has to say about it. ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fipronil

Again this is just the way I see it ... Just food for thought. ;)