First post

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by guineafowlSA, Sep 25, 2012.

1. guineafowlSA

guineafowlSA Junior Member

I am new to keeping chickens and last May started 20 laying hens - make that 19 since we recently discovered that Phyllis is in fact Phil. I deliberately chose different breeds, hoping that they would all get along as well as look attractive. We have converted two unused large stables each with a big outdoor run with a couple of spruce trees at the end of one. They spend all their time under the spruce trees. I have four of each of Buff Orpingtons, Light Brahmas, Australorps, Ameracaunas and Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are all quite beautiful but the Orps are certainly the most friendly along with the Ameracaunas (they all have started laying miniature eggs now). The Wyandottes seem to be lowest in the pecking order although not above pecking back . One of the Light Brahma is Top Hen. Unfortunately our sole rooster Phil is being a henpecked husband - literally! He has lost all the feathers round his neck due to the unwanted attentions of a couple of the hens and currently is languishing in a stable all by himself, very sad, while I hope he can recover. Anyone else heard of a henpecked rooster? He is a very benign
    boy and very shy.

2. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Ohhhh yes. My Phoenix rooster is extremely henpecked. He won't even peck a fly on them, but they could peck him allll day long. He's currently separated from his ladies, too.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

What a beautiful choice of breeds you picked! Please post some pics when you have a chance. :D We LOVE chicken pics! Poor Phil. My Lilah (Australorp) sympathesizes with him. ;)

4. guineafowlSA

Henpecked Light Brahma rooster

Oh dear - looks as if we shall have to send Phyllis (I mean Phyll) to the Big Coop in the Sky. Nearly everyone I have spoken to said that he will be unlikely to grow his neck feathers back for a number of months and it is unwise to allow the hens to henpeck him even a little (let him out yesterday after four days confined and after humping the hell out of as many girls as he could grab, two mean little Ameracaunas were at his neck again and I had to put him back in the stable by himself). I really like this rooster but can't allow the start of cannibalism - I have been told once they start it it's difficult to stop. I am letting the hens free range now and thought this would make them disregard him and for the most part they do but not enough to save him, I think. I am in Schomberg, Ontario, Canada by the way - hobby farm - veggies and three dogs and my twenty chickens. Maybe soon to be nineteen. ..... dunno how on earth I am going to catch him he is so shy.:(

5. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I've read all these horror stories about roosters...so, that's why I don't have one! My 14 girls are all *just* fine!! Jen:)

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

IF his neck is raw and red, you can paint it purple with Blue Kote. That will cover the red that attracts the pecking and the cannibalism.

7. guineafowlSA

thank you - I will try that

8. guineafowlSA

Rooster woes

How is your rooster doing now? Mine is still separated. Feel so sorry for him, as he coos at the ladies from the next door stable where he is confined. His feathers haven't grown back yet - I am giving him another week and then I will let him out and see how he does. If not well, then I think he will have to join a neighbours meat birds on their trip to You Know Where in ten days time.

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Pine tar works too. Really sticky stuff though. I don't have any roos either Jen. Partially because I don't like the way they can tear up the hens (and then I'd be in tears), and partially because then I'd end up with chicks at some point and want to keep them all. I'd be a chicken hoarder then! :eek: Then I'd be on tv for chicken hoarding! :p