First Egg!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BarredRock123, Oct 22, 2012.

1. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Today I just found that I got an egg!! It's a soft shell, and it seems that the other hens ate it... Is that bad? And what do I need to feed the hen for her to lay hard shell eggs?

Attached Files:

2. rob

rob New Member

i give mine layers pellets. as it contains everything thats needed.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Congratulations on your first egg! It can be bad for them to eat the eggs only because it can get to be a habit. LOTS of good nutrients for them though at the same time. I do let mine have it once in a while. They beat me to it sometimes so what's left to clean up isn't much. I just try not to let them get away with it very often. Mine too are on layer feed, only the crumble version. Tried the pellets and mine would barely touch it. They'd pull out the itty bitty pieces, scatter the rest, walk away and never eat it. Went back to crumble after that one bag. Some have their preferences. Just have to try and see what they like. Maybe try a small bag first.

4. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Once again I'm new at this...I have one out of 14 that lays a soft shell??? When the others started laying a few of them also had soft shells but now they are regular. I feed mine the layers crumbles too. It says it has everything they need to lay. So maybe its just because its their first? Maybe?? Jen:) Oh and mine all scramble to eat it before I can get it from them...good to know its OK:eek:

5. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

Make sure they have plenty of calcium in their diet. You could add oyster grit to their feed. Also, save your egg shells, clean them thoroughly and bake them in the oven until they are really well done and then grind them up and add to their feed. A good way of recycling and keeping costs down. :D

6. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

I've started to feed them oyster grit, they love it. I have a new problem now... I can't get her to lay in the nesting boxes. So she would roost and the egg would just, splatter on the ground.

Attached Files:

7. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

A friend of mine cooks her egg shells in the microwave for a couple min. instead of baking to save herself time.

8. ChickensSayMoo

ChickensSayMoo Junior Member

I have always used the oven, and try not to use it so much in the summer months (so hot here) So thank you for the tip lorindaeb :)

9. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

Any time!!

10. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

I've heard that putting a golf ball or fake egg in the nesting box will eventually give them the idea to lay in the nesting box rather than anywhere else.

11. GrammyJean

GrammyJean New Member

Congrats! That first egg is so exciting! :) I'm a beginner, too, just a few months of mistake after mistake. LOL I have 5 hens of laying age, but have been only getting one egg/day consistently... occasionally 2 eggs (brown eggs from the Wyandottes). But today, I got my first egg from my 3 Americauna's... it is green! Very pretty shade, like an easter egg. Can't wait to see what color eggs the other 2 will lay. ...exciting stuff for us newbies.

Attached Files:

12. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Okay, she seems to be laying hard shell eggs in the nesting boxes. But I haven't seen any eggs for at least 3 days. She's a Rhode Island Red, so I thought thats not normal. I've also been seeing a bunch of softies where the roosting area is... Is it the other hens, or the RR?

Attached Files:

13. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

My rir is about a year old and only lays me 3 eggs a week at her best

14. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Before they were eating the oyster grit like candy, now they don't even touch it :(
    What do I do?

Attached Files:

15. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

BarredRock, is that a Speckled Hamburger hen I see hiding under the ramp in your first pic? We have 2, first year their eggs were kinda small and this year they have gotten a little bit bigger. Now they are molten so we haven't gotten an egg in a while!

16. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

I had trouble feeding mine oyster shells in a pan or tray. I just started throwing it in there run and wala they tear it up now