Geese Finally got the goslings.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by squirrelhunter, Jun 10, 2017.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Went to pick them up yesterday but he was in Michigan at a wedding so we went back up today and got them. They're African Brown goslings. He says they're about 3 weeks old. They sure are bigger than my ducks got at a month old :eek:.

[​IMG]

I'm going to go down to the building tomorrow and get their area ready,but I might leave them in the house for a few days so they can get use to us. They seem to be a lot tamer that way,than just putting them in the building and only going in to feed them a few times a day. At least it works that way with ducks,this is the 1st geese we've gotten though.

2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Alright!!!I got someone to swap goose tales with.My babies will be 6 wks tomorrow and they are twice the size of my standard chickens.They grew crazy fast.Mine were yellow but I really like the colors of yours,especially their little black beaks.I'll be looking forward to some stories and your thoughts on your wonderful geese...

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I'm sure I'll have some . These seem to be fast growing too,I can't believe how big they are for only 3 weeks old.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

They are beautiful!

5. chickenqueen

It seems like mine went from a handful to an arm full in 4wks.It took a little longer for their comfort level with me than chicks but they are now my babies and follow me around the yard.They are totally different than the chickens and like human interaction,whether I have food or not.

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That's what I'm hoping these will be like. They don't seem real scared of us,the first night they kept hiding in the corner but now they keep stretching their heads out chirping at us,watching us and when we talk to them they really start chirping at us. They don't really try to get away from us either. I can reach right in and pick them up and they don't squirm and flop around like when we first got them either.
    Here's their 1st time in the bath tub :D.

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.coats.3/videos/1299489516835145/

7. chickenqueen

My problem when they were really young was they always pooped on me when I held them.It has almost stopped but still occasionally have hot goose poop running down my leg.It's mainly an American Buff that does it and I try to position her butt away from me.One thing I found out yesterday.Had a fox go after the flock yesterday so I went fox hunting.The geese followed me the whole entire way and were not bothered by the shot gun,at all.When I shot it they were not phased at all.Meanwhile,all the chickens were in hiding.

8. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That's surprising,guess since you were with them they weren't scared. I know every time I go out shooting the ducks get scared and go to the other side of the pond even with me being 50 yards from it. Guess once I get the goslings out in the yard I'll find out how they like it. I haven't just sat there and held the goslings,they don't really like being picked up so I put them down as soon as I can whenever I'm carrying them.
    I got them in the building today but so far they're still not to sure about it,they pretty much stay back in the corner behind the 1 water dish. I put 4 water dishes,a food dish and a pile of grit in there for them but after a couple of hours I went down to check on them and they hadn't come out of the corner and walked around the water dish to the food dish yet,so I moved the food dish to their side of the water dish and they started eating right away. The crazy goslings need to look around the building a little more ;) :D.

9. chickenqueen

Are you wetting their food?I still make mine "gruel" every night.The chickens love it,too!It took mine a a week or two before they started greeting me.Bear in mind some breeds are are more open to human interaction than others.I chose breeds that were calm and docile,sort of...

10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

No I'm not wetting it but they do some. I figure it'll take time for them to warm up to me too,they're mainly scared because it's new surroundings I think. I figured when I put the ducks back in the building the goslings would be scared to death but the opposite happened,the ducks were. There's a chicken wire partition between the 2 halves of the building to keep them apart until the goslings are a little bigger but as soon as I got the ducks in they came running back out and wouldn't go back in for the longest time,the little scaredy cats . After I got them in the goslings were right over to the partition wanting to go to them. I think they thought of them as mothers or guardians,not sure,the ducks wouldn't go near it though. They're African Browns by the way.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  11. chickenqueen

I kept mine close for the first few weeks.I watered their food because I read they could choke on dry crumbles and they don't carry food and water back and forth.I started them on greens at a week old,kale seemed to be their favorite.They also liked to chew on stuff when they were "teething".I continue to supplement their diet with Niacin but I'm not sure how long I should do it but their legs formed right and there was no "angel wing" formations.They are almost completely feathered except for spots on their head and necks.I read somewhere they would be full grown at 3 mos but I didn't believe it.I'm a believer now though...:D

12. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I haven't given them greens or Niacin,maybe I should. They're already 3-4 weeks old according to the guy I got them from and seem real healthy.

13. chickenqueen

I read to give them non-flush Niacin to promote healthy feather and leg formation.I use a 500mg capsule(opened up) in a gallon of water but it's 125mg per gallon of water per dose so I used 1 part Niacian water to 3 parts untreated water and used it for their drinking water and gruel.If they don't get enough Niacin their legs can be bowed and angel wing develops.It's the result of their bodies sucking up all the nutrients while they grow so rapidly.I bought one bottle and still have plenty left.I just don't know how long to keep it up.I guess until they are full grown.I believe it applies to ducks,too.And by all means,give them some fresh vegetation.I bought bags of kale in the beginning,removing the big stems and chopping it up and putting it in a bowl of water to keep it fresh.It NEVER lasted long,they ate it with such gusto.And it was fun to watch them learn how to manipulate the leaves.When their teeth started coming in you could really hear the them crunching the stems,it sounded like they were eating potato chips.

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  15. chickenqueen

Yeah,mine have teeth on the bottom and top bill.When they were coming in they chewed like a puppy.At first I just joked about it until I realized they WERE teething.I didn't know they had teeth,either.My goslings have surprised me so many times and everybody seems to love them.

16. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Well learn something everyday,I had no idea they had teeth. I got some niacin and kale but I think I need to chop it smaller,I think it's still too big for them to eat,they pick it up and then spit it back out.

17. chickenqueen

In the beginning I removed the stems and chopped it pretty small and put it in water because,supposedly,they won't eat it when it wilts.Mine had a minute when they struggled to manipulate it but they figured it out quickly.Then I gradually chopped it up less and less and left the stems.Now they just eat grass and a big bowl of gruel at bedtime.Mine will be 7 wks old tomorrow and it's hard to keep thinking of them as babies.They are growing up so fast:(

18. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I think they're still spitting out some of it because there's some on the ground but a big share is gone. Mine are about 4 weeks old now I think.

19. chickenqueen

OMG!!!I saw a picture of a goose's mouth and the tongue has teeth,too.Plus,there was a pic of a leatherback turtle's mouth-it was full of teeth down to the throat.I saw it on a website called the verge,you oughtta check it out,it's really evil looking.And I use to catch small ones for pets.The goose mouth and turtle mouth were in the same post.

20. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I'll have to see if I can find it...