Fighting hens

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Diizzybear, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Diizzybear

Diizzybear New Member

Is there something you can do to stop hens fighting or if not how long do they fight for when putting new hens in together ?

2. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

Hmm I would try separating them with something like chicken wire or poultry netting-that way they can still see eachother, but not attack one another. Then, after a time, gradually reintroduce them and let them work out the pecking order while being supervised. After that, if theres a hen or two that's just too aggressive constantly I would rehome them :( Hope this helps! Good luck!

3. rob

rob New Member

mine fought at first, just sorting out pecking order, it didnt last long although they stil have a little face off now and again.

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I have game hens with spurs and they will fight just like a gamecock. So separation is necessary sometimes. I have one hen that has to be seperated from all other hens and roosters. Shell fight anything. But still gives me 5 eggs a week

5. Diizzybear

Diizzybear New Member

Thanks for all comments guys give it a few days more and if still fighting I will separate

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 New Member

If they are just pecking a bit at each other then tending to go their separate ways, they should work it out eventually. If you have one aggressive hen picking on everyone or a few of them constantly and causing anxiety and or injury, separate her for at least a week and try again. Sometimes, like sorrowsmiles says, it's best to rehome responsibly or eat the aggressive hen. Chickens have personalities, as I'm sure you've witnessed, and who needs a bad hen causing injuries when there are so many great birds out there?