Egg storge

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by FlaCummins, Nov 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

My second hen finally laid laid her first egg (and its a whopper). Should the eggs be put in the carton pointy side up or down? Or does it matter?

image-707050696.jpg

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

In my opinion, for eating eggs it doesn't matter. If you plan to hatch them, then definitely point down. I also don't wash eggs before storing so as not to destroy the bloom.

3. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I had some one come and buy two dozen eggs today and half of them were frozen and cracked.. I have them in a fridge on the back porch because people come and get them when we are not at home. Will they freeze in a fridge out side??? The fridge is brand new and was bought for this purpose. My wife suggested that we shut the fridge off for the winter.. Also the chickens are laying eggs all hours of the day now where they used to lay them between 5 and 9 in the morning...

4. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Yes they will freeze in a fridge outside if the temp. is below freezing. Is the back porch open or can you heat it. You can shut it off but it will still freeze inside.

Op... for eating it don't matter.

5. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I have a little fridge on the porch because the eggs are on th honor system when we are not home. Porch is screened in but that is all. I will have to put fridge in side for the winter. Gave all the frozen eggs to the pig.