Egg laying

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by viktimh, Jul 18, 2012.

1. viktimh

viktimh New Member

We just started raising chickens 3 of our hens are ready to lay eggs. I was wondering what to expect. Will they lay eggs daily at 1st or does it take a whole for them to get regular. Also what time of day do they normally lay? And how do you get them to lay in one spot. :) thank you

2. OllieWood

OllieWood New Member

Just put loads of comfy bedding stuff (I use easy-bed) in their nesting boxes and they will work it out when they start to lay, as for the time of day, it varies with every flock- mine lay about midday but they can do anytime (24hrs+ apart :) )

3. OllieWood

OllieWood New Member

Also forgot to mention, you should expect some gloomy eggs at first (ones without shells) this is perfectly healthy, some chickens do them every now and then, others do not.

What breeds do you have by the way? Just wondering :p

4. viktimh

viktimh New Member

1 Americana, 1 golden sex link, and 1 Plymouth rock. The 4th one where not sure my sons class hatched it. She looks like the Plymouth Rick but with more white and feathers starting on her feet.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

With young hens I always put wooden eggs in their nest or golf balls.:) Somewhere along the line someone told me that ... and it did/does work.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

6. snide

snide New Member

I went with the golf ball in one nesting box (left the other nesting box empty just straw) and today to my surprise, found two eggs from my 21 week RIR's in the box with the golf ball. Coincidence?

7. AmyR

AmyR Junior Member

I had our nesting boxes filled from the time we moved the girls into their coop from the brooder... Probably a bit early!! :)

My first girl laid her first egg outside in the covered run, the next one in the coop on the floor- 3rd time was a charm, she found the nest. :) good girl!!! The other girls then knew the ropes by the time they started to lay.

8. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I just have straw in some 5 gallon buckets layed on their sides. My Barred Rock girl just started laying. So far no irregular eggs, sure they'r smaller than a normal egg but they will grow with time. I've already had a double yolker from her as well. She lays daily 1 hour later than the previous day but when she gets close to evening she skips that night and lays the next morning .