Egg Eating Rules

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by doug, Jun 28, 2012.

1. doug

doug New Member

What are the "rules" for eating eggs.

Is it best practice to wait until they are so old before eating or cooking with?

2. cindy

cindy New Member

the only eggs I let age abit before eating are the ones I set aside to make deviled
    eggs because they peel better then the really fresh ones.
    all other get eaten or sold within a few days.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

Yup. The fresher the better for us.

4. Keith

Keith New Member

I also wait a few days before using them to hard boil.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

As a side note ... :D

If you have anyone helping to gather eggs (kids ;)) It is wise to break the eggs in a bowl/cup first and not right into your recipe. Some hen can intimidate kids and others, so they don't always gather all the eggs.

Not pretty ... not pretty, at all. :eek:

6. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I just use whatever I have at the time.

7. Jason

Jason New Member

THAT sounds like a lesson learned the hard way.

8. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

So true ...

After that I started checking behind them. lol

9. Kozykitten

Kozykitten New Member

I use mine right away for everything. Steaming them for 20 minutes instead of boiling then putting in ice water makes the shell come off like a store bought egg.

10. orna

orna New Member

Steaming instead of boiling? Cool - going to try that for sure! We hardboil a couple dozen quail eggs at a time...peeling is....um, less than fun. !@#%

Chicken and quail eggs get eaten here as fresh as can be.

11. Kozykitten

Kozykitten New Member

I loved devilled eggs but couldn't eat them for a long time because I would lose a huge amount of white trying to peel. I tried a bunch of different "tricks" that didn't work. I ran across this one, tried it and it worked like a dream. I tested it out first doing eggs for potato salad. LOL. I think out of a dozen or so eggs, a little piece of white stuck in one little place.
    I don't know if there is a time difference for quail eggs since they are so tiny but for chicken eggs, I just used a steamer basket that you put in any pot and steamed 20 minutes. They come out "hard boiled" from that time. I don't know what time would make "soft boiled". I have seen other places that said 10 minutes for "hard" so 20 could be overkill, but it was what I was originally told. Also, no green ring around the yolk.

12. orna

orna New Member

very cool Kozy - thanks!

13. anderson8505

anderson8505 New Member

Older the better for boiled eggs. Otherwise, fresh eggs from your own hens at any time are better than store eggs. Unless you're allergic to eggs, like me. :(