Dream Chickens

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by ChubbyChicken, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

What is your dream chicken? The one that is dog eared in the poultry catalog.

I want the Greenfire Olandsk Dwarfs.

Chemani to ward off evil spirits :p

Blue Isbars.

2. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

been breeding my "dream chickens" for over a decade now....Buckeyes and they are a GREAT dual purpose American Heritage breed!!! :D

3. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

I don't like the way Buckeyes look at me, but hooray for you.

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

My son really wants a Black Jersey Giant. I would love to find my husband a cool rooster. He's more traditional and wants one with a huge colorful tail, big comb, ect basically like the Kellogs rooster. I will find him one by Spring. I know my oldest daughter wants some Polish. Me personally I havent found a breed yet that I wanted badly, I already own a variety.

5. Marengoite

Marengoite Junior Member

Remind you of the velociraptors in Jurassic Park, do they?

:eek:

6. Marengoite

Marengoite Junior Member

You could always go with the sponsor, Cackle Hatchery, and order some Welsummers: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/welsummer.htm

7. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I've checked them out since I found out they are so close to me, but they have a 15 chick min. I was thinking of maybe hatching eggs since we did duck hatching eggs this year and I would like to try out some chicken eggs. We'll see I guess. I really like the 3 chick min and deal on shipping from Ideal Poultry ( I ordered my silkies from them) plus they add packing peanuts in the colder months. I have time to think about it though ;)

8. cathiesue

cathiesue New Member

First my dream was chickens. So I got a few. Then I found Swedish Flower from Greenfire and my dream chicken obsession was satisfied. At least for now, because I do love the PBR's and i know I'm going to want some blue/green eggs in the future. Oh, the wanting never ends!

9. cindy

cindy New Member

awweee they all taste like chicken :)

10. orna

orna New Member

Setting up ( read: growing out chicks) in the hopes that I can someday have a nice line of Blue Mille D'Uccle.
    Also heading toward tassled OEGB.

11. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

I really want blue laced red wyandottes. I currently have several hens. 2 barred rocks, 2 silver laced Wyandotte's, 1 barneveler, 1 austolorp, 1 unknown bantam, 2 small columbian bantams , and 1 austolorp/game cock cross. What I have decided is I want a big mixed flock of Wyandotte's. Even though my little Barred Rocks are so friendly.

12. CMCLB

CMCLB New Member

I'd like to have a Jersey Giant hen. I learned recently they were developed where we used to live. And, their likely to go broody.

13. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

I think the Kellogs rooster is supposed to be a Welsummer.

14. cathiesue

cathiesue New Member

i have to agree about the Barred Rocks. I had 3 but traded them. Now I wish i had them back and traded the BO. Oh, well. If I win the contest I'll get some again:)

15. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

i'm looking for a good breeder of Australorps if anyone knows someone....not interested in hatchery stock

16. karenbrat1

karenbrat1 New Member

Apyl, if you want the Kellogg's rooster, you want a Welsumer (also spelled Welsummer). That's what he is/was. Here's a picture of some of mine a few years ago. The hens lay pretty terra-cotta reddish brown eggs often with darker speckles. I like mine which are the original Barber line, they are somewhat flighty as youngsters but settle with age and I've never had a mean rooster. Will Morrow of Whitmore Farm sells Welsumer (and several other breeds) chicks and eggs and has a good reputation as a breeder.

Attached Files:

17. karenbrat1

karenbrat1 New Member

Jeremysbrinkman, I do love the laid back Wyandotte temperament and their big round form! The ones I've had are very calm, bold and inquisitive as chicks and mature to be very docile, no mean roosters. Check out Jesse Paul, www.paulspoultry.com, he breeds ten colors of Wyandottes including the Blue Laced Red; also Jerry Foley www.foleyswaterfowl.com, he only breeds Blue Laced Red, Silver Laced and Partridge but his birds are super gorgeous, a friend of mine has some of his Silver Laced and said they're so compactly hefty it's like picking up a bowling ball. I bought BLR chicks from both of them, and would love to get Silver Laced, Silver Pencilled, and Buff. So many chickens, so few pens...

Attached Files:

18. Jeremysbrinkman

I have two silver laced. They are beautiful girls. I am planning on buying BLRs from Carters Legacy Farms. They just released their blue line to the public. It maybe next spring before I get them. I want a rooster too but my spouse says nNo! We had one and he would wake us at 3 am. I guess it was a good thing he was named dinner. I also have one really cute little Barnvelder. I really like her lacing too.

19. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso

I have one of my dream chickens- Freedom Rangers!

20. Jeremysbrinkman

I just get 6 light Brahmas, 5 americanas, and 9 black copper Marans