Double Yolks?

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by whitehouseceo, Aug 22, 2012.

1. whitehouseceo

whitehouseceo New Member

We are new to the whole business (personal business, not selling or anything!) of chickens...and we have three girls and three boys. Two of our girls are laying...one that I think is a Rhode Island Red (we purchased the six as "rainbow layers", so it's a guess!). Her first few eggs were decent in size, not oddly shaped or anything...but, for the past eight days, she has layed one egg a day, and each one is a double-yolked egg. They are only slightly bigger than her first few were. Is this something that I should be concerned over? I don't mind having the extra yolks, honestly, but I want to make sure this isn't a condition I should be concerned over for Ozzy, our hen. We feed them natural vegetarian pellet feed, fresh fruit and veggie scraps, and whatever they get off the land, as they are in a tractor.
    Thanks!

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Thats interesting your getting double yolkers right in a row. When my girls give double yolkers they skip a day laying then the next day lay a large egg with double yolks. From what I have read its just their system getting regulated.

3. cindy

cindy New Member

my sexlinks lay daily whether they are double yolk or tripple or single there's nothing to be cocerned about when they lay eggs with multiple yolks just enjoy it while it lasts
    here's a picture of some of the huge eggs my girls lay this one turned out to have 3 yolks!
    [​IMG]

4. cindy

cindy New Member

another pic the center one is xlarge. I have yet to find cartons big enough for these eggs so we eat them 1st:)

[​IMG]

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I alway wondered if those of you who hatch have ever incubated 6 eggs and gotten 7 chicks from a double? Does that ever happen? I've wondered about that since I was a kid. I would imagine there isn't enough nutrition in the egg for two, but I just wondered.